- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- WOODSOME HALL, WOODSOME ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184158.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 01:42:53.
- Statutory Address:
- WOODSOME HALL, WOODSOME ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 18026 14414
SE 11 SE
Fenay Bridge, WOODSOME ROAD, Woodsome Hall
23rd June 1965 G.V. I
Extremely fine hall house, with additions, now golf club house. Built in stages for four generations of the Kaye family, Arthur, John I, Robert and John II between the early C16 and the mid C17. Ashlar stone slate roof.Two storeys.The main range containing the hall faces east, and overlooks the terrace. To the right and rear are 2 later blocks one being L-shaped. To the rear left is another L-shaped range enclosing the courtyard at the rear of the hall. Details include double hollow chamfered windows, hollow chamfered gable copings on moulded kneelers, pointed finials, projecting chimney breasts with ashlar stacks with moulded caps, and lead guttering, fall pipes and rainwater heads, many with the motif of a finch and one is dated 1774.
The hall range has a gabled wing to each side and a 2-storey gabled porch. 10-light hall window with transom, and cross window to each side. 8-light window with transom to 1st floor of porch and 1st floor of each gabled wing. Moulded door surround with imposts and moulded Tudor arched lintel dated 1600. The inner doorway is similar with early oak door. The later wing to the right, projects for 2 bays and has 2-light windows. A further addition at 90° to this. To the rear, right of the hall range, and at 90°, is a 3-gabled 2½ storey range, whose main facade looks into the courtyard. The left two gables are symmetrical with central Tudor arched doorway and 5-light window to each side. Above these, to 1st floor are two 10-light windows with transom and a central cross-window lighting a fine 1st floor chamber with very fine plaster frieze with alternate motifs of affronted wyverns, and a merman holding hands with mermaid to each side. Also, in the centre, the Kaye arms. To the rear of this block,external stack to each of the 3 gables, with paired diagonal ashlar stacks. The south range, to the rear left of the hall range, is mainly altered. This range is now entirely of stone but straight joints suggest that the upper floor may once have been of another material. The west range has square cut windows to the west, but the courtyard side of this range has a colonade of short Tuscan columns which may be early C17. The courtyard has a round pond with fountain dated 1857. Early oak door from courtyard into south range.
Interior: The hall range has through passage to courtyard with hall on right. The hall is open with timber posts with arched braces which can still be seen. The broad fireplace, backing onto the passage, has moulded surround and stone seats. Stone corbels support a massive bressumer whose front is carved with raised letters: ARTHUR KAY BIATRIX KAY with a Tudor rose and a fleur-de-lys as stops and a central Kaye shield. Oak panelling. Gallery to rear with turned balusters and elaborately carved frieze. Carved oak clock dated 1652. Two windows at high level from a ladies' chamber. The parlour to right is oak panelled and has elaborately plastered beam soffits with vines and grapes. Several good fireplaces. Open oak staircase to rear with turned balusters, and in this area further evidence of timber posting.
The paved terrace has tapering, fluted balusters with stone rail and ball finials and has small flight of stone steps.
The first recorded dweller at Woodsome is thought to be Gilbert de Notton, 1236. The Tyas family lived there until 1370, when the manor was granted to Sir William Finchenden, (the finch motif comes from this family). The Kayes occupied Woodsome from 1378 to 1726 when Sir Arthur Kaye died. His daughter married George Legge, Viscount Lewisham eldest son of the Earl of Dartmouth. This family occupied the house until 1911.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967. L. Ambler, Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, 1913.
Listing NGR: SE1802614414
The entry was enhanced in 2016.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Phibbs, J, ‘Woodsome Hall’ in ‘A list of landscapes that have been attributed to Lancelot 'Capability' Brown’Phibbs, J, ‘Woodsome Hall’ in ‘A list of landscapes that have been attributed to Lancelot 'Capability' Brown’, accessed 12 January 2016 from http://johnphibbs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Landscapes-attributed-to-Brown-3rd-ed..pdf
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing