HAM SPRAY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1184260
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
HAM SPRAY HOUSE, SPRAY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAM SPRAY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 14:55:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAM SPRAY HOUSE, SPRAY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ham
National Grid Reference:
SU 34309 63050

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 28/06/2017

SU 36 SW 6/126

HAM, SPRAY ROAD, Ham Spray House

II

House; c1830. Stucco on brick, slate roof. Two-storey, Five bays to garden front, with long extension to east, the rear brick laced flint. Central door, half- glazed with margin glazing, and large 12-pane sashes. Square cast iron porch with raised ball finial, remodelled from original verandah. To rear, central bay drawn forward with wide entrance door and side lights. Wing to west terminates in bow with four sashes each floor. Roof hipped with boxed eaves. Interior: Ceiling cornices. Blue and yellow tiles in kitchen and larder said to be by Dora Carrington.

Ham Spray House was home to artist Dora Carrington, Ralph Partridge and writer Lytton Strachey. Carrington and Partridge married in 1921 and the trio moved to Ham Spray House in 1924. They shared a ménage a trois, and had open relationships, often with same-sex partners. Strachey died in 1932, and Dora Carrington committed suicide shortly after. Strachey wrote Elizabeth and Essex (1928), Portraits in Miniature (1931) and Characters and Commentaries (1933) in the first floor library of Ham Spray House. The library, designed by Carrington, retains fireplace tiles with Strachey’s monogram, a painting of an owl on a book, and a false bookcase with bookspines of books with humorous titles. Ham Spray House is an important building connected with the Bloomsbury Group, a group of artists and writers of the early-to-mid twentieth century. The group included Carrington, Partridge, Strachey, Virginia Woolf, Leonard Woolf, Vanessa Bell, Duncan Grant, E.M. Forster and John Maynard Keynes. The group was in the vanguard of English modernism, influential in art, literature, philosophy and culture. Many members of the group shared sexual and romantic relationships with each other.

Listing NGR: SU3430963050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310851
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05989/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham J Greaves. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].