CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1184890
Date first listed:
15-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, FRONT STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184890.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 07:24:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 33980 51569

Details

NZ35SW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING FRONT STREET (north side) Newbottle. 4/41 (Inset) Church of St. Matthew.

G.V. II

Parish church. 1885-6 by Oliver and Leeson of Newcastle; porch 1888. Rock- faced sandstone; Welsh slate roof. Nave with south porch, north and south double transepts, apsed chancel. Early English style.4-bay nave has groups of 3 lancets; paired lancets in each transept gable; paired lancets in 3-bay chancel and 3-sided apse; south porch has cusped arch with niche over. Roofs high-pitched; fiat stone coping at east end of nave; small slate-covered fleche over crossing has gablets over alternate louvres in the octagonal belfry; cross-finials of stone at west, iron at east and on fleche. Interior plain apart from west window: first World War memorial (in 3 paired lancets) depicts the Call of Matthew, the Transfiguration and the Raising of the Widow's Son. Other stained glass includes two windows in the north transept which came from the previous church on the site (built in 1850 and demolished to make way for the present building). Source: C.W. English, Diocese of Durham: Parish Church of St. Matthew, Newbottle Centenary 1850 - 1950. Manchester 1950.

Listing NGR: NZ3398051569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303197
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
English, C W , Parish Church of St Matthew Newbottle Centenary 1850-1950, (1950)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03176/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].