CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1185518
Date first listed:
06-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185518.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:42:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Rugby (District Authority)
Parish:
Frankton
National Grid Reference:
SP 42370 70160

Details

FRANKTON MAIN STREET SP47SW (North side) 1/64 Church of St. Nicholas 06/10/60 GV II* Church. Lower stage of tower C13, upper stage C15. Rest rebuilt early C14. Porch, vestry and major restoration 1872 by G.G. Scott. Coursed squared limestone with red sandstone quoins and dressings. Old tile roofs, with ridge cresting to chancel; nave has moulded parapet; vestry and aisle lean-to roofs have coped gable parapets. Chancel, nave, south aisle and porch, north vestry and west tower. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Splayed plinth throughout. Chancel has east wall largely rebuilt in C18/C19 red brick, with large brick and stone diagonal buttresses. Chancel and aisle have 3-light east windows with bar tracery; chancel window has hood mould with head stops. 2 south buttresses of 2 offsets. Chamfered square-headed doorway with plank door. Chancel and aisle have 2 straight-headed 3-light windows with rectilinear tracery and hood moulds with block stops to chancel. Small trefoiled ogee low-side lancet to north and south sides. Moulded cornice. Aisle has restored or renewed chamfered and moulded south doorway with hood mould; plank door with old strap hinges. Open-fronted timber porch has glazed sides. South clerestory of 2 paired trefoiled lights. North side of nave has 2 pairs of trefoiled lancets. Buttress between nave and chancel. Vestry has north gable, paired trefoiled lancets to east and straight-headed door to west. Tracery of 1872 throughout. Tower of 2 stages. High first stage has massive sandstone clasping west buttresses: C19 limestone east buttresses of 2 offsets. Splayed plinth. Paired C19 west lancets. C13 lancet to south and west. Rendered chamfered north doorway. Moulded string course. Second stage has Tudor-arched 2-light traceried bell openings, paired to south, with blind traceried reveals and hood moulds. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet. Panelled pinnacles, renewed in 1976. Fragments of gargoyles. Interior: chancel has arched aumbry. Square-headed vestry door. C19 scissor-braced roof has scrolled spandrels, and two C14 head corbels to west. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the inner with half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Nave has C19 moulded queen post roof with curved braces to tie beam, collar and purlins. Early C14 south arcade of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers and responds and moulded capitals. West organ gallery. Aisle has restored ogee piscina. Eroded pinnacle removed from tower. Fittings all of c.1872. Chancel has encaustic tile floor. Gothic-style pulpit, altar rails, screen, stalls and pews. Stained glass: east window in memory of Colonel Biddulph, killed in the Indian mutiny in 1857. The restoration cost 2,000. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, pp.93-94; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.295; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, p.100).

Listing NGR: SP4237070160

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308707
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 93-94
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 295
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1892), 100

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11679/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].