CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1185615
Date first listed:
19-May-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, PARK VIEW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:39:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, PARK VIEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 35380 72046

Details

WHITLEY BAY PARK VIEW (south side) NZ 37 SE 5/181 Church of St. Paul. 19.5.50 G.V. II Parish church. 1864 by Salvin; paid for by Duke of Northumberland. Snecked sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; Lakeland slate roof with flat stone gable copings and stone spire. Aisled nave with north and south porches; south tower; chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Doors in second-bay gabled-porches have double-chamfered surrounds. Lancet windows, some paired or grouped under roundels, those at east end stepped. 3-stage tower has door recessed under blind trefoil and painted drip mould; clock and paired shafted belfry openings. Mask corbel table and octagonal spire; half-octagonal east stair turret. Enclosed passage on north to vestry. Cross finials. Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings. Double-chamfered arches to 5-bay north and 4-bay south nave arcades with moulded octagonal capitals on round piers. Similar chancel arch on shafted corbels and tower arches in fifth bay to nave choir and to south aisle. Roof of alternating tie beams and corbelled arch-braced collars; stencil decoration to plainer chancel roof. Octagonal font with dog-tooth ornament. Glass in west window commemorates son William, dated 1883, of William Bourtland Wilkinson; in north aisle by Wailes and Strang in first bay, in third by Camm and Co., Smethwick, Birmingham dated 1901. Historical note: W.B. Wilkinson of Newcastle patented a successful reinforced concrete in 1854. Sources: J.M. Brown 'W. B. Wilkinson and his place in the history of reinforced concrete'. Transactions of the Newcomen Society vol. XXXIX, 1966-67. W.F. Cassie 'Early Reinforced Concrete in Newcastle upon Tyne', Structural Engineer, April 1955, pp 134-7.

Listing NGR: NZ3538072046

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303430
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Sructural Engineer' in April, (1955), 134-7
Brown, J M , 'Transactions of the Newcomen Society' in WB Wilkinson And His Place In The History Of Reinforced Concrete, (1966-1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01233/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J. Saunders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].