CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1185719
Date first listed:
06-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185719.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:56:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Rugby (District Authority)
Parish:
Copston Magna
National Grid Reference:
SP 45196 88420

Details

COPSTON MAGNA SP48NE 5/9 Church of St. John 06/10/60 - II

Church. 1849. Granite rubble with limestone dressings. Chancel and vestry have plain-tile roofs; nave and porch have C20 cement tile roofs. Coped gable parapets; chancel has twin gablet kneelers; nave and porch have moulded kneelers. Chancel, nave, south-west porch, south-east vestry. Gothic Revival early C14 style. 2-bay chancel; 4-bay nave. Chancel has buttresses of 2 offsets flush with east wall. East window of 3 lights has bar tracery, splay sill course and hood mould with head stops. Bar tracery throughout. South side has one and north side has 2 trefoiled western lancets. All windows have hood moulds with return stops. Vestry has pitched roof with octagonal pinnacle to gable. Trefoiled lancets, paired to east and single to south. Chamfered west doorway with plank door. Nave has western angle and side buttresses. Porch has buttresses flush with front. Doorway has nook shafts, arch of 2 moulded orders and hood mould with head stops. Doorway of 2 moulded orders inside. Plank door. Two 2-light windows to south and 3 to north; trefoiled lancets. West front has central buttress. Two 2-light windows. Gable has sexfoil window. West bellcote has gable and chamfered trefoiled arch. Interior is plastered. Arched-brace roofs. Chancel roof is moulded and has stone angel corbels. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the inner with half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Hood mould with head stops. Fittings: painted metal Commandment boards to left and right of chancel arch. Traceried stone pulpit. Octagonal stone font. Original pews. Stained glass: east window 1887 by Edward Swinfen Harris. The church was built as a chapel of ease to Monks Kirby. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.180; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.243).

Listing NGR: SP4519688420

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308875
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 243

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/10968/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].