Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185796.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:51:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Warwickshire (District Authority)
Lea Marston
National Grid Reference:
SP 20458 92713


LEA MARSTON SP29SW 5/66 Church of St. John the Baptist 08/09/61 (Formerly listed as Church of St John) GV II Church. Early C14 nave extended and provided with a porch in the C15, restored, partially rebuilt, and added to in 1876-7. Medieval dressed freestone blocks and C19 random rubble and ashlar; plain tile roofs with stone coped ranges. North-west tower with diagonal buttresses, 2-bay nave and 2-bay chancel. North-west tower: 1876-7. 3 stages with scroll-moulded strings and crenellated parapet with continuous moulded coping around merlons and embrasures. Pointed west window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with Geometrical style tracery and a scroll-moulded dripstone with stops carved as heads. Single trefoil-headed upper and lower lights and a quarterfoil in the spandrel. Nave: early C14 but heavily restored in the C19. 2 C14 buttresses to the south side both of 2 stages with gables. Also on this side are two pointed windows with deeply wave-moulded surrounds and C19 reticulated tracery. The nave was extended to the west in the C15 and the gabled south porch is of this date. This has a pointed and hollow-moulded entrance arch, and a pair of trefoil headed loops to each side. C14 pointed south door of 2 moulded orders with a returned hood mould. 2 north windows with C19 tracery of early to mid-C14 character. Chancel: 1876-7. Pointed windows with Geometrical style tracery and scroll-moulded dripstones terminating in bunches of naturalistic foliage. Interior: King-post roof over the nave, probably mostly C17. C19 pointed chancel arch with roll and fillet moulding springing from short corbelled shafts with moulded capitals and bands. The nave windows to the south have pointed rear-arches and stepped surrounds. Barrel roof over the chancel. Fittings: C19 octagonal font with traceried panels. Full set of C19 pine benches. Elaborate C19 pulpit with extravagantly carved panels. C19 stalls with carved poppyheads. C19 wooden reredos, panelled and traceried with patterned wall tiles to each side. Wooden chest inscribed: "Joseph Spink/Church Mardin/AND FECIT 1724". Monuments: on the floor of the chancel is a heavily eroded incised slab, probably medieval. Sir Charles Adderley, died 1682: tablet with scrolled pediment containing a coat of arms. Julia Anna-Eliza Adderley, died 1820 in a similar style. Bowyer Adderley, died 1747: tablet with broken segmental pediment containing coat of arms. Charles Adderley, died 1746: in a similar style. Mrs. Adderley, died 1784: Coadestone with a roundel containing a seated woman, and an urn on top. A pair of grave slabs on the chancel floor: Mary Adderley, died 1707 and Arden Adderley, died 1727, both with carved skulls. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p332; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, (1965), ppll5-116)

Listing NGR: SP2045892713


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 115 116
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 332


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15256/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Garratt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].