CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1186152
Date first listed:
01-Jul-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, ST GILES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186152.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:03:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, ST GILES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Nuneaton and Bedworth (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 34047 85057

Details

NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH ST. GILES ROAD SP38NW (East side) Exhall I 4/69 Church of St. Giles 01/07/49 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Giles) GV II

Church. Chancel c.1300. Tower C14/C15. North aisle dated 1609. South aisle 1842. North aisle extended, vestry added and church extensively restored 1885. Chancel of sandstone rubble with some imitation ashlar,render. Concrete tile roof. Remainder of church of sandstone ashlar. Plain-tile roofs. Coped gable parapets with gablet kneelers throughout. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north vestry, south porch. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has diagonal and south buttresses of one offset. 3-light east window of c.1300 has intersecting tracery and head stops. Most openings have hood moulds. Chamfered south doorway has C19 door with applied Y-tracery. Double-chamfered south-east lancet has foliage stops. Small south-west lancet. Vestry has splay and moulded plinth and diagonal buttress. 4-centred 2-light east window has Y-tracery and datestone below. North-east corner has square stack. Moulded north doorway with double-leaf doors. Symmetrical south aisle and central porch have splay plinth and moulded dentil cornice. Diagonal and other buttresses of 2 offsets. Porch has buttresses flush with front. Arch of 2 moulded orders and chamfered jambs, late C20 double-leaf doors, and trefoiled lancet niche above. 3-light east and west and 2-light south windows have flowing tracery, and head stops. Nave and north aisle have shield and hood mould in east gable. 2-bay north aisle has old eastern diagonal buttress, and C19 western diagonal and north buttresses. Late Perpendicular-style 3-light windows are dated above: eastern window is 1609, western is 1885. Similar west window, probably of 1885. Perpendicular tower of 2 stages has high double moulded plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets merge into clasping buttresses at top. 3-light west window has deep hollow-chamfered jambs. Small blind quatrefoil panel above. Small chamfered straight-headed openings to each side. Moulded string course. 2-light bell-chamber openings have cusped Y-tracery. Embattled parapet with pinnacles. Interior is plastered. Chancel has C19 arched brace roof. Chancel arch of 2 moulded orders and chamfered jambs. Hood mould and head stops. Nave has late C19 Perpendicular-style 3-bay arcades of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers and responds. Tower arch of 2 segmental-pointed chamfered arches. King-post roof has shaped brackets and is ceiled above collar beam. South aisle roof is ceiled above collar beam, and has chamfered wall posts on corbels. Fittings: late C19 Early-English-style octagonal stone pulpit. Late C19 font. Stained glass: east window 1866. South lancets c.1872. Wall monuments: north aisle: John Phillips 1716. Slate panel in moulded stone surround, in architectural framework of Corinthian pilasters, with panel and broken segmental pediment and crest. Chancel: north: Samuel Brooks 1779 and family (monument probably erected c.1825), south: Ann Brooks, 1839. Both are simple Grecian style. (VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p89; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p291)

Listing NGR: SP3404785057

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308610
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 89
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 291

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00503/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H Mills. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].