THE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1186255
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1971
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
THE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE, BENWELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186255.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2020 at 03:02:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE, BENWELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 21170 64485

Details

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BENWELL LANE (north side)

11/94 The Mitre Public House (formerly listed as Benwhll 17.12.71 Towers). -

GV II

House, later bishop's house and chapel, now public house. 1831 by John Dobson for Thomas Crawhall; chapel added 1887. Ashlar with plinth; rendered ashlar and coursed squared sandstone left wing; Welsh slate roof to chapel. Main house roof not visible, other roofs graduated Lakeland slate and Welsh slate. Main house: irregular plan, castle style. 2 high storeys, scattered fenestration. Projecting third bay contains double panelled door in Tudor arch. Windows of 2, 3 and 4 lights, some blind, with chamfered stone mullions and transoms and drip moulds. Battlemented parapet to roof with central turret. Left wing: 2 storeys, 8 bays and 3-bay house at left in plain style; sash windows and blind windows; hipped roofs. Former chapel at rear in Perpendicular style has 4 bays and linking bay with oriel window. Interior shows closed-string stair with barley-sugar balustrade, grip handrail and newels with pendants. Library has Jacobean-style panelling and ceiling. Panelled ceilings with Tudor bosses in other ground floor rooms; marble chimney pieces. Historical note: donated in 1881 by J.W. Pease, the Quaker banker, to the Diocese of Newcastle created in 1882. The previous building on the site, the home of the Shafto family; incorporated a tower house. Sources: W.H.Knowles "Benwell Tower, Newcastle" Archaeologia Aeliana series 2 vol. XIX, pp 88-98; W.S.F. Pickering (ed.) A Social History of the Diocese of Newcastle 1882-1982 1982, pp 47-49.

Listing NGR: NZ2117064485

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304397
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
A Social History of the Diocese of Newcastle 1882-1982, (1982), 47-49
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana - Second Series, , Vol. 19, (), 88-98

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03759/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].