This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1187557



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Nov-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2606NW HANGLETON VALLEY DRIVE, Hangleton 579-1/7/156 (East side) 08/11/56 Hangleton Manor Inn and The Old Manor House (Formerly Listed as: HANGLETON VALLEY DRIVE Hangleton Manor Hotel including the west wing .....)


Manor house, now public house and dwelling. Earliest range said to be late C15, main building c1540-50 for Richard Bellingham, altered late C16, earlier range subsequently used as farmbuildings and much altered, refenestrated and restored as separate dwelling 1970s, main building restored 1988-9. Flint pebble facing, coursed knapped flint to porch, quoins and ashlar dressings, plinth, clay tile hipped roofs, numerous brick and rendered stacks including external stack with recessed panel on rear elevation. L-plan, C15 west wing (The Old Manor House) abutting L-plan Hangleton Manor Inn, entrance on north front via porch and screens passage opening onto stair turret. North front: 2-and-a-half storeys with lower 2-storey west range, 1:1:1:2:8 bays, 2-and-a-half storey projecting gabled porch third bay left, gable front end bay left, with C20 casement in gable end, 2-light to porch, windows ovolo moulded mullion and transom under hoodmoulds unless otherwise stated, first floor 10-light left, 6-light and in porch, rebuilt 3-light casement in partially blocked opening to right, ground floor two 10-light left, two altered 6-light to right of porch with square moulded entrance under hoodmould, inner half-glazed door; long, lower western range of 8 bays with mixed C20 renewed fenestration of 2- and 3-light square-headed and Tudor-arch head casements, pvc 'leading' to west gable end. East front: 2 storeys, 3 bays, first floor 8-light mullion and transom windows, ground floor 10-light centre, 3-light casements with shaped wooden heads in end bays, entrance between first and second bays right. Interior: framed wall to west side of screens passage, west end, said to contain ovens, and the The Old Manor House adjoining not seen; large timber-framed newel staircase with turned balusters opening out of through passage, remains of earlier timber newel stair to right survives on upper storey. In room to left of screens passage, fine late C16 panelling with fluted pilasters and volute capitals with the Ten Commandments inscribed above, unusual piscina in north wall, perhaps indicating, in conjunction with the panelling, that the room was used as a chapel. Moulded compartment ceiling with C16 plasterwork and bosses bearing coats of arms. Two C16 chimneypieces, one with a lintel of grotesque figures. Two original chimneypieces on first floor, one bearing the initials RB (Richard Bellingham), also remains of C17 wall painting of 3-masted schooner against north wall and the reset south door of the through passage with a scratch moulded sundial. Framed partitions and original roof trusses of double butt-purlin construction said to survive. The precise evolution of the house between the late C15 and early C17 is still not clear. In the mid C19 the farm included the whole ecclesiastical parish of Hangleton; it ceased to be a farm after the Second World War and the last remaining farm buildings were demolished to make way for housing in the 1950s. (Sussex Archaeological Collections: Hangleton Manor and its History: 1886-; Victoria County History: The Rape of Lewes: 1940-).

Listing NGR: TQ2642906928

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Saltzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Sussex, (1940)
'Sussex Archaeological Collections' in Hangleton Manor and its History, (1886)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26429 06928


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187557 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 07:11:28.

End of official listing