CHURCH OF ST PHILIP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1187579
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1992
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, NEW CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187579.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 08:27:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, NEW CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27640 05016

Details

HOVE

TQ20NE NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington 579-1/3/152 (North side) Church of St Philip

II

Parish church, altered to include parish hall. Opened for services 1893, described as still unfinished in 1899, early C20 end 3 bays converted into parish hall. Architect probably John Oldred Scott. Red brick, squared and coursed flints, ashlar dressings, slate roof, lead roof to apse of Lady Chapel, wooden shingles to fleche. Plan: 6 and a half bay nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, western 3 bays closed off to form parish hall, 2-storey Lady Chapel with buttressed polygonal apse, priest's door with porch, north-east vestry, entrance on south front through double doors without porch. Diaperwork brick on flint above heads of the 10 clerestory windows linked by continuous entablature, chequerboard ashlar stone and dressed flint below, one flying buttress of painted brick between south aisle and nave, chequerboard parapet to aisles with paired lancet windows, gable fronted priest's porch with diaperwork brick on flint, rose window, 5-bay arcade to south front of Lady Chapel with 4 lancets, arcade continued around apse with stone shafts, brick spandrels and plinth, flintwork surrounds to lancet windows, setback buttresses to east end, chequerboard stone and flint in gable end, diaper work brick on flint, brick relieving arch to 3-light East window flanked by blind arcades; 2-light west window. Interior: chequerboard brick and ashlar work nave. Ceiled chancel roof, flat open rafter roof with asbestos sheeting to nave, monopitch rafter roofs to aisles. Pointed chancel arch of brick, chamfered in 3 orders and dying into imposts. Three and a half bay arcade with round, banded piers of stone carrying pointed arches. Five bay arcade to south wall of chancel separating the Lady Chapel. Matchboard dado with modillion-moulded rail to nave and aisles. West end glazed in upper portion with large mural occupying lower half of wall. Brass eagle lectern. Late C19 6-branch candelabra. Carved angels surmounting columns forming curtain railing around altar. Stone font of clustered marble columns. Stained glass to East window. Chair seating. Lady Chapel and parish hall not inspected. A fine exterior. John Oldred Scott is credited as the architect in the Goodhart-Rendel Index of Victorian Churches located in the R.I.B.A. however the church is not mentioned in Scott's obituary in The Builder, June 1913, Vol.104, p.650-1.

Listing NGR: TQ2764005016

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
365599
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Goodhart Rendel, H S , Index Of Victorian Churches

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14489/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jonathan Brooks. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].