GUILDHALL,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1187780
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
GUILDHALL,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUILDHALL,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187780.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2020 at 12:35:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
GUILDHALL,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Stratford-upon-Avon
National Grid Reference:
SP 20055 54723

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHURCH STREET 604-1/10/52 (East side) 25/10/51 Guildhall, King Edward VI Grammar School (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (East side) King Edward VI Grammar School; The Old Vicarage; The Pedagogue's House)

GV I

Formerly known as: Guildhall (part) CHURCH STREET. Guildhall, now school, incorporating slightly earlier house to rear. c1417, bay to left end slightly later. For the Guild of the Holy Cross. Timber-frame with plaster infill on renewed ashlar base; tile roof. L-plan. 2 storeys; 6-window range. 1st floor jettied on joist ends with moulded bressumer. Entry to left end bay has iron gates. Ground floor has 5-light windows with leaded glazing behind diagonal wood mullions and plain sills, 3-light window to left end; 1st floor has 4-light windows, but one to left end of 2 lights and one to centre of 3 lights, leaded glazing. Close studding with tension braces to right end. Rear has jettied 1st floor and gabled wing to left with inner return lean-to outshut and outer return gabled wing; return entrance and elliptical arch to through-passage; varied fenestration including large 6- and 7-light diagonal-mullioned windows to ground floor, cross-casements to 1st floor; wing has 1st floor 4-light ovolo-mullioned and transomed window, similar 3-light windows to gabled dormers to outshut, one to return. INTERIOR: hall has double-chamfered beams and C15 moulded spine beam, blocked south window; signs of dais and remains of C15 wall paintings and inscription; C20 stair and original winding stair. Over Hall has varying arch-braced tie beam trusses with collars and struts, signs of partitioning to 2nd from south; plaster panel with inscribed names etc, and old desks and master's chair; wing (armoury) has early C17 panelling and fireplace with painted Stuart arms, ogee-headed doorway has remains of painted decoration; upper room has moulded ceiling beams to c1500 ceiling now removed and painting of Tudor roses etc; ogee-headed doorway with battened wide-boarded door with strap hinges. HISTORICAL NOTE: the guild was founded in 1269 and refounded after amalgamations in 1403; it was suppressed in 1547 and the Guildhall passed to the corporation, who used the hall for meetings until 1842; plays were performed here 1569 and later. The guild's school was reconstituted as the present grammar school in 1555, the Over Hall being used for teaching; its most notable pupil was, it is said, William Shakespeare, 1564-1616. (VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 12; Fogg N: Stratford-upon-Avon: Portrait of a Town: Chichester: 1986-: 3-9, 19; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 129FF; Puddephat W: The Guild Chapel & Other Guild Buildings of Stratford-upon-Avon: Stratford-upon-Avon: 1987-).

Listing NGR: SP2011354695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
366199
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fogg, N, Stratford Upon Avon Portrait of a Town, (1986), 3-9 19
Forrest, H E, The Old Houses of Stratford upon Avon, (1925), 129
Styles, P, The Borough of Stratford Upon Avon and the Parish of Alveston, (1946), 12
Puddephat, W, 'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in The Guild Chapel and Other Guild Buildings of Stratford upon Avon, (1987)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13920/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top