This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1187998



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Broughton and Old Dalby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190083

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SK 6723 Old Dalby 22/168 Church of St John the Baptist. 1.1.68 II*

Church. 1835 by Thomas Winter, restored and altered 1894. Red sandstone ashlar, C20 plain-tile roof. Chancel, organ chamber/vestry, nave, S aisle, N porch and W tower. 3-bay chancel has 3-light E window with Perpendicular- style tracery, 4-centred head and hood moulds, similar 2-light window to NW and priest's door to SE with 4-centred head and chamfered stone surround. Vestry/organ chamber to S has similar E door, 2-light window to S with chamfered, stone mullion, arched lights, cut spandrels and double-chamfered stone surround; battlemented parapet. 3-bay S aisle has similar windows. Nave has 2-light windows to N and SW with Perpendicular-style tracery and 4- centred heads. S door has double-chamfered stone surround and 4-centred head. Porch has similar doorway, double-leaf doors, hood moulds and 1-light windows E and W with arched lights, cut spandrels and chamfered stone surround; battlemented parapet. 3-stage tower has 2-light window to bottom stage W with Perpendicular tracery and 4-centred head, 2-light window above with Y tracery and hood moulds, 2-light bell-chamber openings with similar tracery; diagonal offset buttresses and battlemented parapet. Nave has two small lancet windows one above the other to W end, either side of tower. Diagonal offset buttresses to nave, aisles, chancel, vestry and porch and offset buttresses between bays. Hollow-chamfered stone eaves to nave, chancel and aisles. Perpendicular tracery is all of 1894 and replaces Y and intersecting tracery. Interior: Nave and chancel have massive tie-beam roof on curved feet with timber corbels, and 4-centred arch between queen struts to collar. Nave has 3-bay N arcade with octagonal piers, stylized leaf capitals and double-chamfered arches. Monuments: Inportant series of monuments to Noel family removed from medieval, predecessor church and installed behind altar. Chest tomb, alabaster, with recumbent effigies of Sir Andrew Noel d.1562 flanked by his two wives. A long row of mourners to chest tomb, inscription to top of chest and shields to E end. Small alabaster chest tomb of lady and her two husbands of c.1580. Kneeling children at W end. Alabaster wall monument with recumbent effigies of Andrew Noel d.1603 and his wife on half-rolled-up mattress and chest tomb with coats of arm, separated by small shell-headed niche. Effigies are flanked by Ionic pillars on bulgy bases, round-headed arch behind effigies. Pillars support frieze. Cartouche of arm above flanked by obelisk finials. Slate wall monument to Rev. Stephen Greenaway d.1795 with Latin inscription. Buildings of England, Leics 1984, p.341-2.

Listing NGR: SK6739723540

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 341-2

National Grid Reference: SK 67397 23540


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187998 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 05:12:50.

End of official listing