REIGATE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1188089
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
REIGATE PRIORY, BELL STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188089.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 12:21:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
REIGATE PRIORY, BELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 25318 50004

Details

BELL STREET 1. 5388 (West Side) Reigate Priory TQ 2549 NW 16/37 19.10.51 TQ 2550 SW 12/37

I

2. Purchased by Reigate Corporation in 1945. Now a Council School. The exact date of the foundation of the medieval Priory is not known, but it was prior to the death of William de Warrenne in 1240. At the dissolution it was granted to William, 1st Lord Howard of Effingham, who built a house on the site in which some parts of the C13 Priory were incorporated. His son, Charles, 2nd Lord Howard of Effingham, later 1st Earl of Nottingham, who defeated the Spanish Armada, lived here and is buried in Reigate Parish Church. John Foxe, author of the "Book of Martyrs", also lived in the house for a time when tutor to the family. Archbishop Usher died there in 1656. James II, Duke of York, occasionally occupied the house between 1662 and 1672. In 1766-1779 the house was rebuilt by Richard Ireland, who entertained John Wesley there in 1771. Substantially the exterior is of this date, though some parts of Howard's Tudor house remain and are visible at the back, facing the courtyard. Also a 5-light mullioned and transomed window remains in an internal wall. Half H-shaped, south-facing building of 2 storeys, 11 windows. Reigate stone, stuccoed. Wood modillion eaves cornice and central pediment holding an achievement of arms in a panel surrounded by 3 busts in shell headed niches. Tiled roof with lead ridges, hipped above the 2-bay wings with angle pilasters. Replaced sash windows with glazing bars on 1st floor, casements with transoms and glazing bars below; in moulded wood architraves. Doorway in the centre with curved pediment over containing a cartouche in the tympanum. In the angles made by the wings are little curved bays containing tiny windows. The North front has been cemented but shows its Tudor origin in 2 gables containing casement windows with small square leaded panes. The other windows are sash windows with glazing bars intact. Inside, a magnificent carved chimney piece designed by Holbein and brought from Blechingley Place; 2 other C17 fireplaces brought from Castle Ditch near Ledbury; and a fine early C18 staircase with wall and ceiling decorations by Verrio and Corinthian screens top and bottom; and a back staircase of late C17 type. At right angles to this front of the house is a red brick wing of 3 storeys, 5 windows, and 3 gables added or rebuilt by Isabel Caroline, daughter of the 3rd Earl Somers (Lady Henry Somerset) in 1895. The other building at right angles to this and parallel to the house was presumably stables, though it has more the appearance of a real tennis court or riding school. C18. Red brick. Stringcourse. Coved cemented eaves cornice. Hipped tiled roof. 7 modern windows at ground floor level. Little round openings above them and bull's eye windows at 1st floor level with an elliptical window in the centre. Doorway in moulded architrave surround below this window. The court-yard is completed on the west side by a red brick wall with fine crested wrought iron railing and 3 pairs of stuccoed gate piers, brought here from the Bell Street entrance to the house. The outer ones, which are for pedestrians, are rusticated and surmounted by vases; the centre ones, which flank the carriage entrance, panelled and surmounted by the figures of eagles.

Listing NGR: TQ2533050030

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
289279
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 40 Surrey,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00761/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Noel Cahill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].