TOWN MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1188091

Date first listed: 01-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: TOWN MILL, MILLBROOK

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:33:36.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN MILL, MILLBROOK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Guildford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 99596 49263

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 99 49SE GUILDFORD MILLBROOK (West Side)

Town Mill 8/142 (Formerly listed 1/5/53 as Water Mill)

II

Watermill, now scenery workshops and theatre. Eastern range (nearest road) c.1771, western range, c.1852. Brown brick to east, red brick to west with plain tiled half-hipped roof with tile hung gable end to west, some in diamond pattern. Three main floors with two attic floors in gable ends. Brick plat bands over ground, first and second floors, brick dentils to eaves. Five bays to east range facing south with two-light, cambered-head casement windows in gauged-brick surrounds. Five windows on the second floor, four windows on the first and four on the ground floors, two windows to right now blocked. Central double doors under cambered heads with further panelled doors above to centre of the first floor. Two bay extension to left (west) with 3-light,larger casement fenestration under cambered heads. Two windows on each of the first and second floors; one window to ground floor left and with double doors to right. West end - Central boarded section on main gable with two casement windows. Three windows on the first and second floors. Double,gabled single-storey range to ground floor with further extensions to right end over mill race. North (rear) - regular fenestration with basement storey battering out into water. This building is a reconstruction of an earlier mill which stood on the same site, during the course of the rebuilding the mill wheels were converted from undershot to breastshot. The western range was originally repaired and was known as the Hogsmeal Mill before its eventual reconstruction in c.1852. The date plaque, 1896, refers to the installation of new water pumps by the Guildford Corporation when the mill was converted into a waterworks.

"GUILDFORD AS IT WAS": MATTHEW ALEXANDER (1978) BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.288.

Listing NGR: SU9959649263

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 289007

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Alexander, M, Guildford As It Was, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 288

End of official listing