Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188243.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 19:49:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Lichfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 19759 13634



1/26 Church of St. John 27.2.64 the Baptist


Parish church. Oldest remains are of circa 1200; the church was largely rebuilt in the later C13 and remodelled early C14; minor alterations of the C15, C18 and C19. Coursed rubble of circa 1200, otherwise dressed stone blocks, some C18 brickwork. West tower; 3 bay nave, formerly with a south aisle, 2-bay chancel, north-east vestry. West tower: 2 main stages, of different dates, off-set plinth, moulded parapet string and crenellated parapet, north and south projections to lower stage. Pointed west window with cusped Y-tracery, arch renewed, probably in the C19, loop above with triangular head. The bell-chamber has paired lancet lights with quatrefoil over. Nave: south side: bays marked by off-set buttresses, diagonal buttresses to the corners. Early C14 doors and windows set within the blocked pointed arches of a former south arcade. The door is pointed and has an elaborate moulded-surround, C19 circular window above. The pointed windows have Y-tracery with trefoil cusping to the heads of the lights and a quatrefoil centre piece. Parapet string to plain parapet, the lower part of the parapet is of a similar date to the blocking of the arcade. Above the easternmost window is a C18 square face sundial complete with gnomon. North side: moulded off-set plinth, buttress between central and western bays; 3-light pointed windows with restored Perpendicular tracery, ogee moulded surrounds and return hood moulds. Lancet at the west end. Chancel: west bay circa 1200, east bay C13, eaves level raised in the C18. North and south sides of east bay have a pointed 2-light window with plate traceried quatrefoil, pointed east window of 3 ogee-headed lights and Decorated tracery, entirely C19 but probably reproducing the original pattern. On the south side, the west bay has a blocked lancet and a door with semi-circular head cut from a single stone, both to the right, and a blocked door and square window to the left. Vestry: C19, pointed east door, south lancet, probably re-used. Interior: walls are roughcast. Pointed and chamfered tower arch; wide pointed and chamfered chancel arch springing from imposts. Nave and chancel roofs are probably C18; massive tie beams on short cantilevered beams which, in turn, are supported by stone corbels, two pairs of purlins, ridge piece and short stubby king-post. Fittings: simple C19 font, cylindrical base, circular basin with moulded lip and polished limestone lining. C19 pulpit, stone, semi-octagonal, Gothic style with triangular headed and traceried panels. C19 altar rail of wrought iron with foliage decoration. Commandment boards, probably early C19. Good C19 floor tiles in front of the altar. Monuments: numerous incised slabs almost paving the chancel and dating from circa 1480 into the C17 e.g. George Curzon, died 1605. Mary Curzon, died 1612, marble aedicule, Corinthian columns on brackets, obelisk finials above columns, coat of arms on top; Henrie Curzon, died 1639, marble aedicule, panelled pilasters, open base pediment containing coat of arms; Christopher Horton, died 1714, bracketed plate with moulded cornice, obelisk above emblazoned with coat of arms; Waltar Horton, died 1716, marble aedicule with foliated brackets, Corinthian pilasters, coat of arms on top. Nave: Christopher Horton, died 1659, aedicule with Corinthian columns on brackets, coat of arms over; Christopher Horton, died 1701, aedicule, Corinthian pilasters, urns above flanking a coat of arms; Eusebius Horton, died 1823 and Phoebe Horton died 1814, by Sir Francis Chantrey, 2 standing women; Harriet Louise Wilmot Horton, died 1831, white marble wall monument. Robert Wilmot Horton, died 1841, by Denman, Grecian. Group of tablets by Reeves of Bath:- Margaret Prinsep, died 1843; Caroline Mary Prinsep, died 1842; Frances Levett, died 1835. Rev. Samuel Holworthy, died 1838, tablet; Batteridge family, tablet circa 1856. B.O.E. pp.110-11.

Listing NGR: SK1975913634


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 110-11


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].