This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1188367



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nevill Holt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191009

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SP 89 SW

6/106 Nevill Holt Hall Preparatory School

21.7.51 GV I

Mansion, now school. C15-C19. Some C19 work by J.B. Papworth. Ashlar and rendered stone and brick with stone dressings and Collyweston slate roof with various moulded stone stacks. Stone coped gables and battlements. Long irregular entrance front of mostly 2 storeys, the centre Gothic, rest in Gothic style. Centre range of c1400 with front of c1470 is the Hall with 2 storey polygonal bay to left. Very fine and elaborate carving with fluted shafts at the angles surmounted by foliage capitals and heraldic beasts. Cusped and traceried mullion and transom windows of 2-lights in 3 tiers with band of blank shields above 2nd tier. Above window a carved frieze with corbels at angles supporting 'wild men'. Battlements. In the centre of range a 2-light mullion and transom window and to right the large projecting 2 storey porch with low-pitch gabled and battlemented roof. Wide doorway with Tudor arch, leaf spandrels and head stops. Above this a large blank panel and corner windows to either side, 1-light to front and 2-light to sides. Carved panels over these and frieze of animals continuing round and following roof line. Battlements with blank carved panels and corner pinnacles. The ranges to left and right, though of C15-C18 origin were refronted in C19 mainly with 2-light stone mullion and transom windows with Tudor arched lights. On left a large 1st floor 3-light window to original Great Chamber. On far right a later C19 2 storey polygonal bay, in design based on Hall bay. On far left a twin-span wing projecting forwards, gables facing, a large stack projecting from right gable. This wing has front of similar mullion and transom windows facing left towards road. Within this wing is King John's Tower, a probably C16 and much altered range of brick with polygonal spiral staircase. This range may originally have been detached. To rear of this wing another range of Cl7. 2 storeys. A 5 bay open arcade of rounded arches and 3 4-light stone mullion and transom windows over. To left of this a further range with c1700 front. Sash windows and hipped roof. By the side of this a turret staircase with C19 exterior, but, from inside, appearing to date from C16. Further ranges to left include C19 1 storey Dining Room. Right end of entrance front adjoins Church of St. Mary (q.v.). Inside the Great Hall are a restored upper cruck truss with arched braces to cranked collar, early C17 oak panelling and early C17 painted stone fireplace with fluted pilasters and frieze. In the bay window there is a cusped arch and quatrefoils and carved bosses. The Great Chamber was remodelled c1785 (date on rainwater head outside) and has stucco ceiling decoration and 3 C19 stained glass roundels in the window. Elsewhere are C18 staircases with turned balusters, and C17 and C18 panelling, some probably introduced C19. In room to left of Great Hall a series of paintings of the 'Inferno' c1700, and also a fine white marble relief of Bacchus and putti probably of same date and possibly Italian. The roof of the wing behind the Great Chamber has arch braces to the collars and also wind braces. The Great Hall front is thought to have been built during the ownership of Thomas Palmer, died 1474. Nevill Holt then passed by marriage to the Nevill family whose seat it remained to mid C19. It became the seat of Sir Bache Cunard in later C19 when the Gothicising begun by J.B. Papworth for Charles Nevill, 1829-48, was continued. It has been a school since 1919. Pevsner, and V.C.H., Vol. V.

Listing NGR: SP8162193677

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984)

National Grid Reference: SP 81621 93677


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188367 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 01:53:02.

End of official listing