Church of St Nicholas

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1188441
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
Church of St Nicholas, Church Walk, Thames Ditton

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Nicholas
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188441.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:41:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Nicholas, Church Walk, Thames Ditton

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Elmbridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 16097 67265

Details

TQ 16NE 3/48

BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE THAMES DITTON CHURCH WALK Church of St Nicholas

GV I Church. C13, north chancel chapel C14, restored in C19, north wall of 1826 by W. McIntosh Brooks and extensions to south. Aisle and chapel of 1864 by B. Ferrey. Flint with stone dressings, tower with brick and tile patching to stonework, weatherboard above. Brick north wall to aisle. Plain tiled roofs, slate roof over porch.

Square west tower, nave and aisles with chapel and porch to the south, chancel to the east with chancel chapel and vestry to north. Two stage tower with lead spire; double light arched windows to first stage and clock on west face. Gabled porch to south with four gables across the east end of the church. Most windows C19 restorations.

Interior: stone floor. Three bay nave arcades on Perpendicular style octagonal piers with depressed rounded arches to north side. C19 arcade to south. Crown post roof to nave. Two bay chancel with C16 brick, four-centred arch under C13 lancet window. Round pier arcade to south aisle with square foliage capitals and cushion pedestals to piers. Gallery across west end of north aisle. Round rear arches to lower windows.

Fittings: C19 pews and pulpit. Stone Norman font c.1120 to west end: block capital with scalloped top and cable moulding to four lunettes containing medallions, subjects in the medallions include Lamb, Cross and an Ibex.

Monuments: North chancel wall: The Forde Tomb. Mid C16 Perpendicular, rectangular stone structure with six posts, centre dividing wall to two arched chambers with quatrefoil band and billet moulding to top. North Chancel chapel, north wall: Brakendon Booth brass.1580. Central standing woman with husbands flanking, six children to left. Shields over the principal figures. Monument to Col. Sidney Godolphin (Governor of Scilly) 1732. Aedicular type. Marble with central projecting pededstal on volute scrolls, set back flanking scrolls to sides over apron containing a coat of arms. Portrait bust to top of Godolphin in Roman costume. Swan neck to bust pedestal, broken segmental pediment above. North Chancel Chapel, west wall: Forde brass.1533, possibly designed to fit into the Forde monument. Man and wife kneeling at an altar flanking central coat of arms and elaborate crest. Guileme Leigh: brass plate dated 1608. Chancel arch wall, north side: Polsted brass 1540: husband and wife kneeling, facing each other across a book littered table, children to right. Stone double arched surround with projecting cornice top and centre pendant. South aisle: west window, Robert Shepherd. 1674 stone cartouche, black oval ground. South aisle: south wall: Richard Sullivan.1806. Black stone ground with white stone apron, cornice and drapery shield to base.

Listing NGR: TQ1609767265

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
286659
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].