ST MARY'S ALMS HOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1188470
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
ST MARY'S ALMS HOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188470.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 16:20:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARY'S ALMS HOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Godstone
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35698 51465

Details

TQ 35SE GODSTONE C.P. CHURCH LANE GODSTONE 6/72 St Mary's Alms Houses 11.6.58 and Chapel of St Mary

GV 11*

Alms house row and chapel. 1872 by sir G.G. Scott in C17 vernacular style. Timber framed with incised decoration in rendered infill, plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting on chapel and large stack to left end, left of centre, right of centre, and right end on alms house row. 8 alms houses with chapel projecting to left and wing projecting to right end to form courtyard in front of building. One and two storeys, irregular facades, built into hillside. Chapel to left end: two storeys to front, one storey to rear with coved eaves to roof and shingled lead fleche over east end. Gabled end to street jettied on first floor with end brackets. Central angle bay to ground floor with leaded casement windows. Planked door to centre of south side (right) in gabled porch with date 1872 inscribed in gable. Interior:Two bay timber framed nave with stone fireplace to west end. Neo-Norman chancel to east with round chancel arch, mosiac inlay and wrought iron screen. Main Almshouse range to right: single storey to left with two gabled mullion and transom leaded casements across. Planked door in gabled timber framed porch. Large two storey gabled bay to right with first floor jettied on brackets. Central leaded mullion and transom casement window in angled bay on ground floor. Entrance porch set back to right of gable with open Tudor arched recess porch, gabled floor above with carving in archspandrels. Further one storey, two windowed, range to right with central gabled porch and planked door. End wing pro- jecting to right with gabled front to street and on left hand side. Single storey rendered C20 extension on right end. The almshouses form an important group in the lane and were designed to compliment the church to their left.

Listing NGR: TQ3569951480

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287733
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02522/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W J Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].