CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1188549
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1980
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, VICTORIA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 03:54:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, VICTORIA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bexley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 51246 77889

Details

TQ 57 NW VICTORIA ROAD

959/3/4 Christ Church

17.12.1980 II*

Parish church. 1874 by J P St Aubyn. Yellow stock brick with polychrome red brick decoration and stone dressings; red tiled roof. Mainly lancet windows, paired to nave. Aisled 5-bay nave, with entrances in narthex; almost detached north-west tower of 1914 with stone broached spire; chancel with buttressed polygonal apse; south chapel with polygonal apse; north vestry. INTERIOR: Nave arcade has round piers, with stiff-leaf capitals. Nave has three tier hammerbeam roof with curved braces supported on stone corbels. Chancel has five fine lancet windows by Hardman of 1875 depicting scenes from the Gospels, reredos of painted triptych of the Adoration of the Magi in a C15 Italian style by A O Hemming of 1904, stencilled decoration, triple sedilia and polychrome tiles. Nave has original carved wooden lectern, pews, stone and - granite font, wall tablet on west wall to Thomas Ruck, organist between 1881-1918 with mosaicwork cherubs and eight painted panels depicting scenes from the early history of the Church in England from the martyrdom of St Alban to the martyrdom of St Edmund by Ward and Hughes of 1906-9. [Pevsner BOE London South p277. Roger Homan "Victorian Churches of Kent". 1984. P54.]



Listing NGR: TQ5124677889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
198721
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 277
Homans, R, Victorian Churches of Kent, (1984), 54

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].