CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1188651
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1970
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188651.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 08:25:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Farlow
National Grid Reference:
SO 63941 80617

Details

254711 Farlow Church of St Giles

II

09-MAR-1970

Parish church of 1857-1858 by Robert Griffiths, incorporating font and C12 doorway from a former church.

MATERIALS: local yellow Farlow sandstone in roughly square blocks, with tooled dressings. Tile roofs and cast-iron rainwater goods.

PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower chancel, south porch, west bellcote and vestry on the north side of the nave.

EXTERIOR: A parish church in simple C19 Gothic style, but retaining part of the Norman doorway of an older church. This has C19 nook shafts and block capitals, but C12 arch with chevrons to the extrados and intrados, and intersecting arcs to the label. The nave, which has angle buttresses, has 4 single-light cusped windows in south and north walls and 2-light west windows with Y-tracery. The porch has a pointed arch and trefoil side windows. The gabled bellcote incorporates 2 cusped bell openings. In the chancel are 2 plain lancets in south and north walls, and triple stepped east window.

INTERIOR: The nave has a 5-bay arched-brace roof on corbels. The double-chamfered chancel arch includes an inner order on corbelled shafts. The chancel has a 2-bay arched-brace roof on corbels. Walls are plastered. Where visible, the nave floor is red-and-black diaper tiles, with raised wooden floors below the pews, and in the chancel are red and cream tiles.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The Norman tub font is plain. The polygonal stone pulpit, post 1897, has marble shafts to niches with figures including St. Giles. Pews have plain ends with moulded tops. Choir stalls are also simple, with open trefoils on arm rests. The wooden communion rail has cast-iron uprights with scrolled brackets. The east window shows Christ flanked by Moses and Elijah, by Swaine Bourne, 1887. The west window shows Christ with St John, by Powell's, 1873.

HISTORY: Built in 1857-8 by Robert Griffiths, architect of Quatford, replacing an old church on a different site. The arch over a Norman doorway and the font were brought from the old church.

SOURCES: Newman, J and Pevsner, N, the Buildings of England: Shropshire (2006), 268-69

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Giles, Farlow, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* It is a complete small 1850's church which has undergone little subsequent alteration. * It has medieval features of interest in the form of the Norman font and doorway arch.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
254711
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10833/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cousens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].