HOSPITAL OF THE HOLY TRINITY (WHITGIFT HOSPITAL)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1188846
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1951
Statutory Address:
HOSPITAL OF THE HOLY TRINITY (WHITGIFT HOSPITAL), NORTH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOSPITAL OF THE HOLY TRINITY (WHITGIFT HOSPITAL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188846 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:58:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOSPITAL OF THE HOLY TRINITY (WHITGIFT HOSPITAL), NORTH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Croydon (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32325 65584

Details

In the entry for NORTH END 9/1 Hospital of the Holy Trinity (Whitgift Hospital) The previous listing date shall be amended to read 29.1.51

------------------------------------

1. 5009 NORTH END

Hospital of the Holy Trinity (Whitgift Hospital) TQ 3265 9/1 20.5.54

I

2. Founded by Archbishop Whitgift (1580-1604) for the use and benefit of the poor, and built 1596-9. Two-storeys. Red brick with stone dressings and tiled roofs. Quad- rangular plan. Front has 2-2-2-2-2 stone mullioned windows all in one plane, those on ground floor having drip-moulds and the end portions being crowned by gables with stone capping. Three storey central stone-capped gatehouse having round-arched doorway with pilasters, and entablature with motto, "Qui dat pauperi non indigebit" under broken pediment enclosing a shield of the Arms of the City of Canterbury. Above the 2 windows on first floor is a panel bearing mitre in relief. Two single light stone windows to second floor. Blue brick diaper work and initials to gables. The George Street front is ungabled and has similar ranges of stone mullioned windows. Courtyard similar, but with doors of apartments. North End gatehouse has a 4-centred archway with one window over on each floor and clock in gable. Gatehouse on east side of courtyard is similar but with a Georgian sash window on the first floor (with drip-mould raised in the centre and enclosing a mitre). Plain gable. The almshouses were extensively restored in 1860 by Butterfield, and the upper parts of the North End front and the chimneystacks date from this time. Interiors contain panelling. Chapel in North East corner has 3-light Gothic window with traceried head given by a citizen of York in 1597 and panelling of 1640.

Listing NGR: TQ3233765605

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201226
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00423/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].