CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189321.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 19:17:54.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Runnymede (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 01308 71367
TQ 07 SW EGHAM HIGH STREET
Church of Saint John
11.7.51 the Baptist
Church 1817-1820 by Henry Rhodes in the style of Soane. Stone dressing, stock brick infill, slate roof. West Elevation: Two storey portico of shallow projection. 4 Doric pilasters on tall plinths. Simple stone pediment with acroteria. Centra bay - double panelled entrance doors with sub-order and pediment. Doric pilasters without bases and half pilaster returns and at sides of main pilasters. Two steps. Blind parapet above with inset half balusters and blocks. Semicircular window of small leaded lights with bracketed pediment over. Moulded architraves with similar moulded frieze. Shoulder blocks at base. Yellow brick infill panels at sides. Bays to right and left. Similar sub-order of half pilasters. No pediment but balusters and window over. Windows in brick recessed arch. Doors below smaller with moulded stone lintel, brick panel over. Tower: Rises above main pediment on rectangular plan with inset quadrant corners. Brick base, projecting stone moulding, string course. Doric order with shallow pediment supported on coupled pilasters on four faces. 45 degree splay corners. Above pediment elliptical drum with simple coping. Louvred panel between pilasters and clock face with gilt figures. Hemispherical stone dome surmounted by stone finials of formalised entablature. Wrought iron weathervane, slender baluster with gilt knob. Simple gilt vane with arrowhead and tail with voluted edges. South Elevation: Main cornice and plinth carried through with shallow projecting end pavilions. Linked to ends with quadrant plan corners. End pavilions have segmented arches and keystone in plinth and semicircular grille to crypt. Full height pilasters with recessed three-quarter pilasters. Plain segmental brick arch headed windows with small panes at ground floor level. Centre mullions. Stone band course, bracket and recessed supporting window. This has sub-order, shallow pediment. Doric pilasters, small panes and centre mullion stone scroll in recess under window. Brick surrounding panel. Centre of elevation ground floor, 5 windows similar. The east window and the west window in the pavilion now have stained glass. The 5 stained glass windows above have recessed brick semicircular heads supported on continuous coping with full balusters below windows. The stone band under the coping breaks round piers. Below centre win- dows stepped entrance to crypt. Plain spear head iron railings. North elevation: Only one window at west end of centre is stained glass. Remainder have centre mullion and 72 small panes. East elevation: Main pilasters return at corners central projecting chancel with piers in angles and pedimented coping over east end. Main order follows breaks. Three blind recessed openings with semicircular heads on chancel end. Single similar opening on nave ends. Two projecting wings single storey, linked to church by recess on north wall with segmental brick arch over door with stone pilasters and cornice. Stone tympanum steps. Plain stock brick wall. Return ends contain two semicircular leaded small pane windows. Single storey link between wings, C20 metal windows. South wing on south elevation recessed panel and projecting porch. Panelled and studded door, stone steps. Chancel: Segmental chancel arch with beam beyond, indirect top lighting beyond. Pilasters with depressed Corinthian capitals and consoles below beam, Greek entablature on beam and walls over altar. Coupled quarter pilasters in corners. East wall centre panel mural by Hans Feibusch 1951; wood panel, each side written 10 commandments. Wall memorials south of chancel. Top - Hannae Augustus Gostling 1837 - tablet and two angels over. Below, Benjamin Newcombe 1818 by Baily. Inscription on pedestal, urn on half column, female figure with anchor, slate backing. North side George Gostling 1854. Inscription tablet, sarcophagus, and three angels by E H Baily. Below George Gostling 1820. Inscription, pedestal column and portrait figure by Flaxman R A. Altar: Simple white marble, gilt centre inlay, C20 oak altar rail. South of chancel memorial John Harris 1817, Greek, bracket, tablet, arms and inscription above. Nave: Gallery on sides and west end. 5 bays, plain entabla- ture columns, rectangular on plan. Elongated Greek pediment over entrance. Small organ case above with upper choir gallery each side, turned wood balusters. Inverted lamp bowl on shaft above each column. Flat ceiling, raised centre panel, curved ends. 3 rosettes over ventilators. Main wall cornice follows ceiling curves at corners. Plain wood pews. Lectern: Turned brass column with eagle. Pulpit: Plain octagonal oak on column with sounding board from Little Livermore, Suffolk. Font: Simple white marble bowl on octagonal column. Memorials: North aisle east. Floor slab Robert Forster 1663, inscription only. On east wall above slate inscription tablet supporting central elliptical recess with bust, arms each side and above. All coloured. To left small brass 1576 Anthony Bond, line drawing of four figures and altar above inscription. North wall, east to west. Tablet with framing inscription Richard Kellofet 1595. John Knowles 1810 simple Greek tablet. Framed oil painting remains of original reredos painting by F Westall RA. Painted Royal Coat of Arms 1660. South east end, Sir Frederick Hervey Bathurst 1824. Slate tablet, architectural frame. Coloured arms over. Lady Freemantle 1841 by R Brown, slate backing, white marble tablet carved bracket Greek cresting. South aisles: From west to east. Sir Felton Elwill Bathurst Hervey 1819 served at Waterloo, Greek architectural frame medals and militaria above in white marble. Amelia Anne Liptrott 1793, plain white marble on slate. Sarah Honeywood 7 years 1750 ornate shroud and cherubs, marble. East wall. Foundation stone from earlier church inscription saying chancel rebuilt by Abbot Rutherwyke of Chertsey 1327. In floor carved slate tablet heraldic motif. Two stained glass windows by Moore and Son 1910. Gallery level: On south 4 stained glass windows removed from Coopers Hill College Chapel, Renaissance design with clear background. 2 similar windows on north. In memory Arthur Sullivan 1852-1885 and Philip Henry Bowen 1887. East end north side, Challoner Bisse 1828 Greek sarcophagus on slate base. N Torin, tablet on brackets over arms above drapes and inscription 1828. Revell 1808 tablet urn over. Anne Stewart Greek tablet on brackets. North staircase: East wall benefactors board. West wall diamond painted arms. South wall, Denham memorial, architectural frame, centre ellipse. Portrait busts of two women and child all painted. South staircase: Painted coat of arms. Sir John Denham memorial 1638. Sir John rising from grave in winding sheet over charnel house of skeletons. 2 Corinthian columns, angels above entablature, Latin inscription painted. Stairs: Both stairs divide at bottom to centre and side lobbies, map stick rail and plain iron bars. Vaults: Whole of church built over vaults of varying shapes. Some coffins moved. Other vaults with wood and iron doors. Main door now removed. Massive oak door, metal backing. Semicircular cast iron grille, 2 heavy iron bolts. In lane to east, brick wall with arched opening, formerly led to stable for priests horse with access stairs to vestry above.
Listing NGR: TQ0130871367
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing