Church of St Nicholas and attached walls

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1189405
Date first listed:
11-Jul-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Aug-1988
Statutory Address:
Church of St Nicholas and attached walls, Church Street W4

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Nicholas and attached walls
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189405.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 10:54:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Nicholas and attached walls, Church Street W4

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hounslow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 21569 77784

Details

TQ 2177 NE 1/240

CHURCH STREET, W4 (west side) Church of St Nicholas and attached walls (formerly listed as Church of St Nicholas)

11.7.51 GV II* Anglican parish church. West tower built for William Bordall, vicar from 1416 to 1435; rest of church rebuilt 1882-84 for John Loughborough Pearson. Squared and coursed Kentish Rag with ashlar dressings; stone-coped and gabled copper roof. Plan of chancel flanked by north vestry and south chapel, with aisled nave and west tower. Perpendicular style.

Chancel: five-light Geometrical-style east window, above 1914-18 war memorial depicting a carving of the Crucifixion; two-light Geometrical-style window and two similar lights, to north; three-light Perpendicular-style windows to vestry. Four bay north and south aisle elevations have Perpendicular-style fenestration, canted stair turret to each side and string course with gargoyles beneath ashlar castellated parapet with trefoiled blind arches. Plain pointed-arched door next to Tudor-arched window to east end of north aisle, and Decorated-style doorway with flowing tracery to hood to east end of south aisle. Decorated-style doorway with engaged shafts to north porch, which has wrought-iron gates and panelled inner doors set in similar doorway with rosettes to architrave. 'Porte-cochère' to south has flaming-tracery hoods to three similar Decorated-style doorways and vaulted interior.

C15 west tower of three stages with angle buttresses and string courses; late C19 Perpendicular-style west doorway ; C15 hoodmould over late C19 three-light Perpendicular-style window above; lancet windows to second floor and label moulds over Tudor-arched belfry windows; castellated parapet and canted stair turret.

Interior: chancel has trefoiled rere-arches with engaged shafts; Minton tile floor; alabaster reredos by Pearson; brass Gothic-style communion rail; corbels with engaged shafts support ribbed barrel-vaulted ceiling; carved Gothic-style benches; chancel is flanked by finely carved Perpendicular-style screens with cusped open tracery and foliate friezes. Perpendicular-style arch with engaged shafts to organ chamber, which has fine organ case by Timothy Russell, 1826 (removed from Holy Trinity, Cloudesley Square, Islington).

Three-bay Perpendicular-style arcade to south chapel: this chapel has late C19 benches, Gothic-style communion rail and reredos depicting The Last Supper; two bay king-post roof with cusped tracery to spandrels and cusped windbraces; finely-carved Perpendicular-style screen with cusped open tracery and carved foliate friezes. Nave has four bay Perpendicular-style arcades, four bay king-post roofs in aisles (similar to south chapel roof) and four bay crown-post roof to central nave; carved wooden Perpendicular-style pulpit, fine brass eagle lectern dated 1881 and late C19 benches with carved ends. Tall C15 archway with engaged shafts to west tower.

Memorials: south chapel has wall tablet to Ralph Wenwood, d. 1799, in swag surround; urn set on simple wall tablet to Charlotte, Duchess of Somerset, d. 1773; very fine monument to Sir William Chaloner, d. 1615, and his two wives, d. 1603 and 1615, has heraldic achievement set over baldachino, its curtains held open by flanking figures, with kneeling figures of Sir William and wife at prayer. Chancel has brass to Mary Litcott, d.1599. South aisle has three early C19 tablets and sarcophagus-type memorial to Thomas Bentley, d. 1780, the partner to potter Josiah Wedgwood. North aisle has early/mid C19 wall tablets, including one with mourning angel leaning on urn. Early C19 wall tablets and early C18 architectural monument at west end of nave. West tower: C18-C19 wall tablets; memorial to Richard Taylor, d. 1698, with urn set on tassellated swag surround held by cherubs; memorial, to Richard Taylor, d. 1716, set in Corinthian aedicule with heraldic cartouche flanked by figures of Father Time and Angel of Death; memorial to Charles Holland the actor, d. 1769, with bust set on obelisk and epitaph by Daniel Garrick; memorial to James Howard, d. 1669, has flaming urn set on ionic aedicule with pulvinated inscription panel; memorial to Thomas Plucknett, d. 1721, has broken segmental pediment with Ionic aedicule; memorial to John Taylor, d. 1729, has open pediment with heraldic achievement in tympanum over Ionic aedicule; tablet with medallion portrait of Thomas Tomkins, d. 1816; pedimented wall tablet to Charles Barnevett, d. 1695; rectangular fluted tablet to John Beckwith, d. 1815.

Stained glass: is late C19 and by Clayton and Bell, and east window of south chapel has glass from clerestory of Cologne Cathedral.

Subsidiary features: C19 squared and coursed limestone walls attached to east end of church, with overthrow arches over two wrought-iron gates. Inscription panel records that wall was rebuilt in 1831 and rebuilt in 1884; reset C17 tablet records that first wall on site was built in 1623 at the charge of Lord Francis Russell, Earl of Bedford.

History: H S Goodhart-Rendel has described the church as 'one of the best churches imaginable of its type in rich refined Perpendicular.'

Listing NGR: TQ2156977784

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
202523
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Quiney, A, John Loughborough Pearson, (1979), 246-7
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/47723
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Middlesex, (1937)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15810/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].