Allerton Park


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Allerton Castle, Allerton Park, Knaresborough, HG5 0SE


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189430.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 12:42:56.


Statutory Address:
Allerton Castle, Allerton Park, Knaresborough, HG5 0SE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Harrogate (District Authority)
Allerton Mauleverer with Hopperton
National Grid Reference:
SE 41416 58089


SE 45 NW 3/2


(Formerly listed as The Mansion, ALLERTON PARK. Previously listed as Allerton Park)



Large mansion. 1848-51, possibly incorporating earlier house of 1721. By George Martin of Baker Street, London, for the 18th Lord Stourton. In a Neo-Jacobean style. Coursed gritstone with grey slates and lead roof.

Tall, two-storey main block with central open hall, rising through the centre and lit by a third, lantern storey. Lower three-storey range to east and north, with courtyard on north-east side. Plinth, moulded first-floor and eaves band, crenellated parapet, shaped gables and dormers with pinnacles and tall stacks.

South entrance front has three-bay projecting centre with projecting port-cochère with 3½-storey tower above. Either side single gabled bays with ground-floor square bay windows, and octagonal corner turrets. West front has three-bay projecting central section with central two-storey bow window. North front has projecting three-gabled central section, with slightly projecting central bay with octagonal turrets. Three glazed circular openings on ground floor, with three windows above. Either side single square bay windows on ground floor. Central clerestory tower projects above skyline with curved battlements and pinnacles.

Interior has vast three-storey central hall lit by clerestory tower, with Perpendicular windows containing stained glass and a fine hammer-beam wooden roof. Single two-storey halls to east and west of central hall, both lit by glazed roofs. The eastern hall has large staircase protruding through arch into central hall. All three halls have Perpendicular panelling up to canted gallery at first-floor level. The first-floor arches all have crocketed ogee surrounds. Tall entrance passages to north and south with Perpendicular panelling and hammer-beam roofs. Dining room in north-east corner has very fine panelling by Benjamin Baud, pendant stucco ceiling and fine fireplace. Good brass torchères in halls now converted to electricity. Other ground-floor rooms include saloon (west side), library, and billiard room with original light fitting over the table.

The previous house on this site was a rebuild by the Duke of York of a house built in 1721 by Hon. Richard Arundel (surveyor of the Kings Works) for himself. The Duke of York bought the estate from Viscount Galway in 1786. It was occupied by the Duke of York and the Prince of Wales until 1789 when the house and estate were sold to Colonel Thornton, who altered the name to Thornville Royal. An illustration of this former house shows the 'chapel room and chapel' which remain at the west end of the present chapel (q.v.). In 1805 the property was bought by Charles Philip, 16th Lord Stourton. In 1851-2 Charles, 18th Lord Stourton caused the house to be rebuilt. Nearly all the materials (brick) of the former buildings were said to have been used in the new house, but a wing of solid construction remained on the north side while the new house was under construction. It is possible that this was converted and encased as a service wing when the new house was added to the west. A mound of rubble to the north west of the present building is also thought to be the debris from demolition of the C18 house.

Listing NGR: SE4141658089


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


H. Speight, Nidderdale, 1894, pp 197-200. Report of the Victorian Society.
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00584/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Harwood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].