CHAPEL OF ST LEONARD
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1189660
Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966
Date of most recent amendment: 09-Mar-1989
Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST LEONARD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189660 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 05:58:39.
Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST LEONARD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Harborough (District Authority)
Parish: Thorpe Langton
National Grid Reference: SP 74019 92436
SP 79 SW THORPE LANGTON THORPE LANGTON
2/66 Chapel of St Leonard (formerly listed as 7.12.66 Church of St Nicholas)
Parish church. C13, late C13 tower, chancel aisles and arcades rebuilt early C14, clerestory added late C15. Restored 1867 by Joseph Goddard of Leicester. Roof repaired 1914. C19 vestry. West tower, nave, north aisle with north porch, south aisle, chancel, vestry. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlared limestone dressings. Lead and plain tile roofs. Heavily moulded plinth. Coped parapets. Angle-gabled buttresses with set-offs. West tower, 3 stages with broach spire. 2nd and 3rd stage bands. Decorative cornice. Angle buttresses at north-west and south-west corners. West elevation has modernised doorway with moulded, shouldered flat arch, and plank door. Above, a C13 lancet with chamfered jambs and hoodmould. Above, a 2-light pointed arch bell-opening, the lights divided by a single shaft with moulded capital and base, with a hoodmould. North, south and east elevations have similar bell-openings. South elevation has C19 clock face in 2nd stage. Spire has corner pinnacles and two tiers of alternating lucarnes. North aisle has north porch added by Josepth Goddard in 1868. Plain tile roof with coped gables with kneelers and finial. Heavily moulded doorway with engaged shafts and hoodmould with headstops. East and west walls have a single, small window each. North doorway has double-chamfered arch with a plank door. To west of porch, a 2-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould with headstops. East of porch, a 3-light window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould with head- stops. North aisle has 3-light east window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould with headstops. Chancel, north wall has a 2-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds with plain stops and to east, a 2-light window with Y-tracery, and hoodmould. 4-light east window with flowing tracery, cross finial to gable. Clerestory over both nave and chancel has five 2-light windows with cusped heads set in rectangular frames, with straight headmoulds with returned stops. 3 windows light the nave, 2, the chancel. South aisle, south doorway has moulded jambs with engaged shafts, hoodmould with headstops, and plank door. To west, a 2-light window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould with headstops. To east, a 3-light window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould with headstops. South aisle has 2-light east window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould with plain stops. Chancel, south wall has 2-light window with geometric tracery and hood- mould with plain stops, and to east, a 2-light window with Y-tracery and hoodmould with plain stops. South side of clerestory, similar to north. Late C19 vestry between south aisle and tower, with plain tile roof, coping, stone chimney,and 2-light west window. Interior: 3-bay nave arcades with double chamfered, pointed arches and early C14 quatrefoil piers with moulded capitals and bases. North-east pier and responds, capitals have ballflower decoration. Triple-chamfered tower arch with hoodmould and headstops and piers with capitals and bases. Roofline of earlier nave visible above. North aisle has reset corbel heads on either side, above doorway. South one has reset corbels of c1200 on south side of arcade and on either side of south doorway and south-west window. Rood stair doorway at east end. Chancel has moulded string throughout. All windows have hoods, the north- east window with headstops. Early C14 piscina and damaged sedilia. Late C15 octagonal bowl and stem font, carved with foliage and tracery. Polygonal pulpit appears to incorporate panels of c1500, otherwise late C19. Pews and screen are late C19. Organ provided by Hanbury charity in 1952. Stained glass in east window of north aisle depicting farming scenes, to memory of James Kendall (1933-69). East window of south aisle has glass to memory of George Kendall (1847-1926). Glass in east window by Heaton, Butler & Payne, c1868. Roofs restored in 1868, 1914, 1978. Elaborate carving, brattishing and bossing on moulded C15 tie beams in nave and chancel. Late C19 tile floors. VCH, V, 207-8.
Listing NGR: SP7401992436
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 191393
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964), 207-208
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing