Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189875.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:33:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 54435 46940


CULWORTH QUEENS STREET SP5446 (North side) 11/21 Church of St. Mary 04/02/69


Church. Early C13 and C14. Chancel rebuilt 1840, other alterations c.1880 by E.B. Law. Coursed squared ironstone and ironstone ashlar, lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 3-light window to south aisle, C14 has hood with head stops and Intersecting tracery (renewed). Two 2-light windows east of porch, C14, have hoods with head stops, (those to west are re-cut), and Victorian tracery. C14 south porch has entrance arch with continuous mouldings and double plank doors. Inner doorway C13, has jamb shafts with bell capitals, moulded arch and hood stops carved with leaves, probably recut C19. 6-panel double door, C18. Victorian window to west of porch and in west wall of south aisle. C13 tower of 3 stages with crenellated parapet. Perpendicular bell openings of 2 cusped lights with transom. Windows to north aisle Victorian. Interior: Chancel arch C19. Early C13 three-bay arcades extended one bay to west on either side of the tower in the C14. Easternmost piers are round with bell capitals. Octagonal piers to west, that to north has scalloped capital, that to south has capital with broad flat leaves. Victorian hood mould with large head stops. C13 tower arch with triple chamfered arch and jambs. Single chamfered arch to south and north. Decorated tomb recess in south aisle has arch with ballflower decoration and jamb shafts with foliage capitals. C14 piscina with moulded arch, at south east end of aisle. 3 windows in south aisle have jamb shafts with bell capitals. Roofs C19. Font, octagonal, dated 1662. Fleur-de-lys decoration. Lid with scrolls and finial, probably also C17. Bench ends in nave have reused medieval tracery. Large monument to D'Anvers family in the chancel, erected 1790 for Meriel D'Anvers, carved by Thomas Burnell and Sons of London. Pink and white marble sarcophagus with urn flanked by standing cherubs in front of large grey obelisk. Oval inscription plaque at base. Wall monument in north aisle to Judith Rye died 1698. Grey and white marble oval inscription plaque framed by cherubs heads and palm fronds and surmounted by urn and doves with large winged skull at base. High quality carving. Wall monument in south aisle to the Rev. James Weston-Harding, died 1837, signed by M.W. Johnson of London. White marble with draped urn. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.171-2).

Listing NGR: SP5443546940


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 171-2


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/05866/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].