Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190138.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:19:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 80089 54601


HACKLETON CHURCH END SP8054 (North side) Piddington 20/101 Church of St. John the Baptist 03/05/68

- II*

Church. C13, C14. Restored 1877-8 at a cost of £1,300 by E.F. Law when north aisle was rebuilt and nave roof was renewed. South aisle and porch rebuilt, and chancel given new chancel arch, roof and east window 1900-1902 by firm of Law and Harris. Further restoration 1908. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone, lead aisle roofs, slate roof to nave, plain tile roof to chancel. Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with C19 Perpendicular tracery and hood mould. No windows to sides. Nave has 2-light clerestory windows with 4-centred heads and hood moulds. North aisle has 2-light east and west windows with quatrefoils to heads, 4-light window to north with straight head and ogee-arched lights flanked by similar 3-light windows; all have hood moulds. Blocked chamfered north door with hood mould. South aisle has 2-light windows to east and west ends and either side of porch with C19 Decorated-style tracery and 4-light window to south-east with straight head, all with hood moulds. South door of c.1900 with shafts in porch of same date with double-hiollow-chamfered doorway, both with hood moulds, and 2-light windows to sides with straight heads. 3-stage tower has west door with 2 orders of shafts, roll-moulded and hollow-chamfered head and hood mould. Small lancet window above, and 2-light bell-chamber openings with plate tracery and trefoil-headed lights, all with hood moulds. Corbel table, trefoil frieze above, tall octagonal corner pinnacles and spire with broachs and one tier of lucarnes with Y tracery to cardinal directions, an octagonal collar with a stone-coped parapet, then a spire slightly recessed with one tier of tall thin 1-light lucarnes set spire and its octagonal base are both of ironstone in diagonals, Body of church has plain stone-coped parapets. Interior: chancel has tiled sanctuary. Nave has 4 bay arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches. Octagonal font with shafts to stem. Monuments: wall monument to Joseph Swayn, Apothecary d.1720 of limestone with gadrooned apron, upright oval tablet topped by cherubs heads. Wall monument to Thomas Mercer d.1733 of limestone with draped tablet, cherubs heads, trumpets and lamp finial signed Samuel Cox. Wall monument signed by same sculptor to Thomas Mercer d.1739 of veined marble with slate inscription panel and obelisk background and rococo bracket. Wall monument to Thomas Mercer d.1747, signed by Henry Cox of veined marble with apron, circular swagged tablet, obelisk ground and grenade finials. Wall monument to John Glass, Deputy-ranger of Salcey Forest, d.1775 of limestone with upright oval tablet on ground painted to resemble pink marble, garlands and cherubs' head to apron; signed Jas Andrews Olney. Wall monument to Elizabeth Mercer d.1782 signed W. Cox, of veined marble with apron and lamp finials. Wall monument to Thomas Mercer d.1809 with upright oval tablet on slate ground with applied marble swag and crest. Other C19 wall monuments. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p372; S.M. Lewis: A Family of Stone-Carvers, The Coxes of Northampton; Northants Past and Present: Vol 1, No.6, 1953, pp19-58)

Listing NGR: SP8008954601


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 372
Lewis, S M, 'Northamptonshire Past and Present' in A Family of Stone Carvers The Coxes of Northampton, , Vol. 1, (1953), 19-38


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/04512/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].