CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1190204
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190204.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:06:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
East Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Leigh
National Grid Reference:
SK 02390 35836

Details

SK 03 NW LEIGH C.P. CHURCH LEIGH

2/131 Church of All Saints 12/1/66

GV II*

Parish Church. Rebuilt 1846 incorporating part of the medieval tower. By Thomas Johnson of Lichfield. Ashlar; slate roofs with coped verges. Cruciform plan; crossing tower, 5-bay nave and aisles with south porch, 3 bay chancel, 2-bay transepts; early C14 Decorated style. Crossing tower: The 2 upper stages are visible above the roofs, the lower of these has a slim ogee-headed loop to each face, pointed belfry openings of 2 trefoil-headed lights with a single reticulation over, and hood mould; crenellated parapet. Nave and aisles: Transomed windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil over, 5-light west window with Decorated tracery; pointed west door with hood mould terminating in heads; paired niches to gable with crocheted hoods; coped parapet and diagonal buttresses to west end. Chancel: 3-light windows to north and south, and 5-light east window; empty niche to gable with crocketed hood. Transepts: Windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights, those to north and south gables have 5 lights; angle buttresses. Interior: Nave arcade has cruciform piers with canted lobes and sunken chamfers; pointed arches with sunken chamfers; tall, pointed roll and fillet moulded crossing arches, all with hood moulds terminating in heads to interior; scissor braced nave roof with 2 pairs of purlins and ridge piece and posts springing from stone corbels, supporting the principals; rib vaulted chancel and crossing, the chancel has foliated bosses and transverse and diagonal ribs springing from foliated corbels, the crossing has diagonal ribs dying away into the corners and a central circular opening for the bell ropes; highly decorative chancel floor tiles attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Fittings: Quatrefoil plan font by H. Jeavons;pewter eagle lectern, octagonal stone pulpit with trefoil-headed panelling to sides. Monuments: Alabaster chest tomb of Sir John Ashenhurst d.1520, reclining figures of Sir John and his wife, the former in plate armour with a lion at his feet, panelled sides with pairs of figures under twin crocketed ogee canopies; marble aedicule to the Rev. Ashenhurst d.1704, with Ionic pilasters and open top pediment contain- ing coat of arms; marble aedicule to Elizabeth Whitehall, C18 with panelled pilasters and open top pediment containing coat of arms. Stained glass: East window by William Wailes, south-east and north- east chancel windows contain medieval glass, 2 windows in north aisle, 1862 and 1868 by C.A. Gibbs of Bedford Square, William Morris and Sir Edward Burne-Jones were responsible for the West window 1874, the west windows of the aisles, 1890, the east window of the South aisle, 1913. B.O.E. p.173-4.

Listing NGR: SK0239035836

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
273838
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 173-4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06735/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stanley Strudwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].