CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1190260
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190260.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 02:49:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
East Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Marchington
National Grid Reference:
SK 13795 30728

Details

SK 13 SW MARCHINGTON C.P. CHURCH LANE

7/151 Church of St. Peter 12/1/66 - II*

Parish Church. 1742; chancel rebuilt late C19. By Richard Trubshaw. Red brick with ashlar plinth and dressings; plain tile roof with crested ridge tiles to chancel, and coped verges. Classical style; West Tower, 4-bay nave; 2-bay chancel with angle buttresses and North vestry. West tower: 2 stages, capped by octagonal cupola with leaded roof, ball finial and weather vane; round-headed West doorway with keyed surround, the semi-circular head blocked with ashlar and a projecting corbel decorated with a vanquished dragon and supporting a statue of St. George, part of a 1914-18 war memorial, circular keyed oculus over, blind round- headed window to south with raised keystone; second stage marked by a stone band, louvred round-headed windows with raised keys to north, south and west sides, the latter surmounts a clock within a moulded stone surround; cupola has similar louvred windows to each side, that to the east blind. Nave: Round-headed windows with keyed surrounds. Chancel: Gothic style; pointed windows of 2 cinquefoil headed lights and cusped tracery above. Vestry has pointed door to north and pointed window to south. Interior: Pointed chancel arch with outer chamfered arch and inner ovolo-moulded arch springing from marble shafts with foliated capitals and corbel bases; nave roof of king post construction with braces extending from king post to principals, and angle struts extended from tie beam to principals, 2 pairs of purlins; chamfered and stopped ceiling beams in West tower. Fittings: plain octagonal stone font; hexagonal wooden pulpit with splat balusters linking it to the north wall; nave has panelled wooden dado and complete set of benches; balustrated wooden rails at entrance to chancel and to sanctuary, probably parts of one altar rail originally. Monuments: Alabaster chest tomb, Walter Vernon d.1592 and his wife Mary Littleton, slab incised with 2 figures; marble wall tablets to Robert Deaville d.1831 and to William Towers Minors Esq. d.1801. B.O.E. p.201-2.

Listing NGR: SK1379530728

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
273858
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 201-2
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/110388
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/13406

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05568/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Maxine Higgs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].