Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE MARMION TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190271.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 19:05:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Hambleton (District Authority)
West Tanfield
National Grid Reference:
SE 26776 78718


WEST TANFIELD CHURCH STREET SE 2678-2778 (west end) 10/51 The Marmion Tower 22.8.66 GV I

Gatehouse/castle. C14, C16. Ashlar. 3 storeys, 1 bay. Square in plan. East front: large chamfered 4-centred archway with hoodmould to right. To its left a small chamfered rectangular opening. First floor: a central oriel canted window with 2-light cusped openings with Perpendicular tracery to each face, hipped roof above. Second floor: a central moulded mullion and transom window with hoodmould. Moulded eaves band. Embattled parapet. South front: first floor has a small square opening to left, to its right a pointed-arched cusped 1-light window. Second floor: to left a 2-light cusped Y-tracery pointed-arched window with hoodmould. To right a corbelled garderobe. Eaves band has 2 rain spouts. West front: similar arch as to east side. First floor has a moulded mullion and transom window with hoodmould. Second floor: central 2-light cusped Y-tracery pointed-arched window with hoodmould and transom. Clasping north-west corner, a 4-stage stair tower with small chamfered 1-light rectangular openings. It rises above the embattled parapet with its own eaves band and embattled parapet. North front, blind except for chamfered single-light window to second floor. Eaves band has rainwater spouts. Octagonal flue stack rises over the parapets. Interior: ground floor has tunnel vaulted passage between the archways and moulded doorways from this into Porters Lodge which is tunnel vaulted and to the stone spiral stair. First floor was the great hall with large moulded 4-centred arched fireplace. Second floor smaller similar fireplaces. History: possibly a gatehouse castle in its own right with enclosure to rear. John Marmion received licence to crenellate his house in 1314. After his death the castle went to his niece the wife of Sir Henry FitzHugh Kt, then it went to the Parr family. William Parr, brother of the 6th wife of Henry VIII, owned the manor until his death in 1570. It then went to the Crown and was granted to Lord Burghley. Through the Cecil family it was owned by the Earls of Ailesbury in the C18 until 1886 when it was bought by the Arton family. VCH, Vol I, p 384-389.

Listing NGR: SE2677678719


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 384-389


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16689/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].