CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1190429

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190429 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 02:55:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16754 56161

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEATHERHEAD CHURCH ROAD TQ 1656 SE (south side) 12/111

7.9.51 Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

GV II*

Parish church. Late C11, altered and aisles added in early C13, chancel extended and transepts either altered or added in early C14, aisles widened and west tower and spire added in late C15, spire blown down in 1703 and various internal alterations made during C18; partially renovated and altered in early C19, heavily restored and altered by Arthur Blomfield in 1872-3 and 1891, and tower restored in 1894. Flint with dressings of limestone and some sandstone, roofs mostly red tiles but with some stone slate. Nave with north and south aisles, west tower, chancel with north and south transepts. The Perpendicular 3-stage west tower, built at an angle (the south-east corner obtruding into the nave), has angle buttresses, a plinth with a trefoil arcaded band, bands to the upper stages, and a restored embattled parapet; a large west doorway dated 1893 and a transomed west window of the same date above this, both in Perpendicular style; a small restored 2-light window to the short 2nd stage, a set-back 3rd stage with 3-light louvred belfry windows, and a hexagonal stair-turret at the north-east corner. The 4-bay nave (covered by full-height aisles) has 2 gabled dormer windows on the north side and one on the south side; the north aisle is mostly rendered, has a gabled porch to the 2nd bay with a 2-centred arched outer doorway moulded in 2 orders and a stone slate roof; the 3rd bay has a square-headed C15 window of 2 cinquefoil lights with hollow spandrels and a hoodmould (copied in the added C19 1st bay), and the 4th bay has a C19 4-light window in Perpendicular style, under a gable; the south aisle (extended at the west end to embrace the tower), has inter alia a blocked 2-centred arched doorway with deep chamfered surround, to the right of this an early C18 wall monument commemorating Mary, dau. of Thomas Elkins (d.1730), with architrave of fluted pilasters (etc.); and a gabled dormer in the roof. Both transepts were formerly of one bay, but the north his a C19 extension (housing a vestry over a heating basement); the east wall of the earlier portion of this is of flint and limestone chequer-board masonry, with a C19 3-light window, and the roof on this side and the lower half of the other are of stone slate; the east wall of the south transept incorporates a rectangle of limestone masonry of an early phase of building, framing another C19 window, and its gable wall has C19 chequer-board masonry and a large C19 Perpendicular- style window. The 2-bay chancel has on the north side 2 C19 windows under the voussoirs of former medieval 2-centred arched windows, and a small blocked 4- centred arched doorway; on the south side a rectangular patch of limestone masonry and a small blocked window; and a C19 3-light east window. Interior: 4- bay aisle arcades (west arch of north side inserted in 1891), with alternately round and octagonal piers, moulded caps (that at the east end of the north arcade with stiff-leaf decoration), stepped chamfered and roll-moulded 2-centred arches; 4-centred tower arch with clustered shafts; 2-centred double-chamfered chancel arch with scallop stops, flanked by blocked rood-loft doorways; re- aligned squint from north transept to chancel; piscina and 3-seat sedilia with polished shafts; at west end of north aisle, C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels; numerous wall monuments including funeral helm of Robert Gardiner of Thorncroft (d.1571), Sergeant of the Wine Cellar to Elizabeth I, and obelisk and sarcophagus to Richard Dalton (d.1681), Sergeant of the Wine Cellar to King Charles II.

Listing NGR: TQ1675456161

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 290505

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing