CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1190537
Date first listed:
22-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190537.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:40:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Whitfield
National Grid Reference:
SP 60779 39548

Details

WHITFIELD SP63NW 10/111 Church of St. John the Evangelist

GV II

Church. 1869-70 by Henry Woodyer of Guildford. Coursed squared limestone, ridge tile roofs. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber, nave, north aisle, west tower. 3-bay chancel has east window with 3 stepped lancets recessed in chamfered stone surround with hood mould and ornamental miniature buttresses either side of central light and lancet windows to south; chamfered plinth, moulded string, stone eaves and stone stone-coped gable with kneelers. Vestry has lancet window to east, with roll-moulded straight-headed stone surround and plank door; organ chamber has 2 lancets to north, panel carved with sacred monogram in stone-coped gable with kneelers. North aisle has lancet windows, those to north with continuous equilateral arched hood mould with foliage label stops either end. Nave has 2-light windows to south with plate tracery with oculus in heads, double roll-moulded south door in south porch with chamfered doorway with inner rounded trefoil arch on shafts with moulded capitals, 3 small lancets east and west and stone-coped gable with kneelers. 2-stage west tower has chamfered west door with hood mould, small lancet above, stair turret with stone roof to south-east angle, diagonal buttresses to west angles, 2-light bell openings with plate tracery, pointed trefoil heads to right, supported by shafts with moulded capitals, quatrefoils in heads and hood moulds and broach spire with one tier of lucarnes. Chamfered plinths and stone eaves to nave and aisle. Interior: chancel has encaustic tiled sanctuary, fine timber communion rail with small pointed trefoil arches and arch-braced collar-truss roof. Nave has 4-bay north arcade with octagonal piers with broach stop bases, shouldered chamfered arches and outer chamfered arches on corbels and hood moulds. Arch-braced collar-truss roof. Complete set of pitch pine furnishings. Royal Arms of 1710; oil on canvas (stored in tower). Early C19 charity board. Stained glass windows by Morris Co. from 1890. The west tower of the old church was blown down during a heavy gale on February 1st, 1869. The church, which was a modest aisleless structure of chiefly C13 date, was found to be in such a state of decay as to necessitate complete rebuilding. A photograph of the old church after the disaster is in the National Monuments Record. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.460; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928).

Listing NGR: SP6077939548

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234621
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 460
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13314/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Julia Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].