This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1190579



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Yardley Hastings

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235573

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


YARDLEY HASTINGS HIGH STREET SP8657 (East side) 17/173 The Court Parlour 03/05/68 (Formerly listed as The Court Parlour at Manor Farm)


Part of manor house. Late C14. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, plain-tile roof, stone end stack. Rectangular, comprising complete service bay of the Hastings Manor House built on standard medieval 3-cell plan; hall with central open fireplace and parlour bay to east demolished C18 or earlier and known only from excavations. The contemporary detached kitchen survives within present manor house (q.v.) 3 storeys. The standing structure contains pantry on ground floor with central pair of moulded door openings to cross passage, wall cupboards and blocked fireplace. Buttery below with access by steep stone steps from rear end of cross passage and ventilated by 4 wall vents rising to slit openings above ground level. At first floor level, also accessed from a moulded doorway in passage immediately adjacent to front door, a chamber interpreted as a castellan's or bailiff's lodging, originally sub-divided into a living room with wall fireplace and a sleeping area with higher window sills and garderobe within thickness of rear wall. External door arches to cross passage partially survive, moulded with early casement moulding to front, double-chamfered to rear, 2-light windows, square-headed to pantry floor, pointed arched heads with ogee tracery to dwelling floor above. All with stone relieving arches and wood lintels, but glazing missing. Gardrobe to rear slightly corbelled has 2 small quatrefoil lights. Side and off-set angle buttresses to west corners. Original octagonal moulded stone stack to gable. Interior: floors of heavy close-spaced oak joists, probably original, those of pantry floor now supported on re-used cambered collars, probably from demolished hall. Stair to first floor of quarter cut treads pegged to bearers. Similar stair within 1st floor partially preserved and giving access to suspended attic, probably a later medieval alteration. Roof structure is an outstanding example of C14 carpentry. Two bays, short principal construction with cambered collar on arcade plates, chamfered arch braces, the arch continued on the collar soffit, and heavy curved wind braces. Jowled crown post to collar purlin and straight collar, and second tier of wind braces, the collar purlin braced to a wall post at the gable end. Lower collar and short principals are jowled to contain joints. The property was in the hands of the Hastings family in the C14 until 1389, Lawrence de Hastings becoming Earl of Pembroke in 1339. This former service bay has not been substantially altered or modernised since the C14. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: ;VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, pp296-7; C.A. Markham: Associated Archaeology Society Reports XXVII 401-7, 1903-4; S.G. Follett: Drawings in NMR (1908) used by M. Wood in The English Medieval House: 1965 7if; N. Alcock and M. Barley: Medieval Roofs with Base Crucks and Short Principals; Journal of Society of Antiquaries: 52, Pt.1, 1972, 132f; C.T.P. Woodfield: The Larger Medieval Houses of Northamptonshire: Northamptonshire Archaeology 16, 1981, 192-5)

Listing NGR: SP8661457091

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 296-7
Wood, E , The English Medieval House, (1965), 71
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries, , Vol. 52, (1972), 132
Markham, C A, 'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 27, (1903), 401-7
Woodfield, P, 'Northamptonshire Archaeology' in The Larger Medieval Houses in Northamptonshire, (1981)

National Grid Reference: SP 86614 57091


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 01:40:55.

End of official listing