This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1190942



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nun Monkton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 331666

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/24 Church of St Mary 15.3.66


Church. Late C12 - early C13 with restoration and rebuilding of east end and vestry 1873 by J H Walton, and stained glass by Morris and Company. Limestone ashlar, plain tile roof. 7-bay continuous nave and chancel with north vestry to 2 eastern most bays. West front: integral central tower interrupting steeply pitched roof. Round-headed west portal of 5 orders on slim shafts with stylised foliate capitals. Zigzag enrichment to the 2 inner and the outermost orders, and hoodmould with head stops. Triangular gable with pellet decoration supported on miniature shafts with waterleaf capitals, enclosing trefoiled niche. Doorway flanked by pairs of round- headed niches with roll-moulded arches on shafts with waterleaf capitals, the outer ones set into flat buttresses at the angles of the facade; that to extreme right contains weathered, headless figure. Above the doorway set on a continuous sill are 3 stepped lancets with banded shafts, nailhead enrichment and hoodmoulds. Narrow staircase window to right of central lancet. Shouldered belfry openings to each face of tower with corbel table above. Pyramidal roof. Nave, south side: 3 round-headed doorways, that to west of 3 chamfered orders and the central one, now blocked, of 2 plain orders. The easternmost door is largely a C19 reconstruction, with existing original sections confirming its accuracy. It consists of 3 orders, the outer one with zigzag enrichment, held on shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Pellet and nailhead enrichment to jambs. Plain hoodmould with decorative stops. Upper storey: lancets with hoodmoulds on continuous string course, separated by flat buttresses. Nave, north side: blind lower storey with full-height flat buttresses and C19 vestry to east. Upper storey: lancets with hoodmoulds. East end, rebuilt in 1873: band bearing inscription "To the glory of God and the Memory of Anne, wife of Isaac Crawhall, this chancel is rebuilt and dedicated AD 1873", flanked by flat triangular-headed buttresses. 3 stepped lancets with banded shafts and nailhead and dogtooth enrichment. Vesica above, and cross to apex. Interior: 3 tall arches carrying tower to west end. The nave walls carry an ornate triforium and wall passage. The wall is divided by vaulting shafts into wide and narrow bays, the wide bays containing deeply-splayed pointed windows with banded shafts, hoodmoulds with headstops and nailhead enrichment. The narrow bays contain paired pointed arches with banded shafts and between their heads a sunk trefoil panel with roses on the cusps. Over these is a trefoil-headed opening ornamented with roses. This is an extremely fine triforium arcade. 1873 east end in similar style with polished marble shafts. Memorial brasses to south wall of chancel to George Payler, died 1689 and Elizabeth Payler died 1724/25; George Payler died 1678 and Lady Maria Carey died 1679; Bethia Darcie, died 1671. Elaborate font with polished coloured marble shafts and inlay, and wrought-iron altar rails, both of 1873 restoration. Stained glass in east window probably from designs by Sir Edward Burne- Jones, considered by Pevsner to be the finest in the West Riding. The Church was the priory church of a community of Benedictine nuns founded c1153 by William de Arches. Anon, The Parish of Nun Monkton, nd. Archaeological Journal, Vol 4, 1847. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: The West Riding, second edition, 1967.

Listing NGR: SE5115157927

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 4, (1847)

National Grid Reference: SE 51153 57927


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190942 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 12:53:34.

End of official listing