WOODFORD COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1191027
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
WOODFORD COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL, HIGH ROAD, IG8 9LA

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOODFORD COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 19:18:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOODFORD COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL, HIGH ROAD, IG8 9LA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Waltham Forest (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ3987891783

Details

TQ 39 SE 1/13

HIGH ROAD Woodford Green (west side), Woodford County High School (formerly Highams)

19.10.51

II

School, formerly substantial house. 1768. By William Newton. Painted stucco. Roof not visible. 2 storeys plus basement and attic to centre block. 5 bays to centre block; 4-bay wings, outer 2 bays of each set forward slightly beneath pediments. Centre 3 bays of centre block also slightly set forward, with giant Ionic pilasters rising through ground and first floors. Projecting central sand- stone porch with pedimented entrance. Square-headed sashed windows retaining glazing bars. Round-headed windows to ground floor of wings. Rich dentil cornice above first floor. Subsidiary cornice to attics; balustraded parapet. Central polygonal lantern to roof with console cornice and low hipped roof. Interior retains fine stone staircase with wrought-iron balustrade and 'S' fluted band to well at floor level, etc. Venetian staircase window formerly with half column ornament removed after war damage. The house was originally known as Highams Park. It had extensive grounds which included the present public open space called Highams Park. A red Book prepared by Humphry Repton for the layout of the park is preserved at Brottenham Hall, Norfolk.

Listing NGR: TQ3987891783

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
206895
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00826/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Simpson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]nd.org.uk.