Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191066.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:07:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 07361 42342


ALTON C.P. HIGH STREET (North-west side) SK 0642-0742 13/27 3/1/67 Church of St. Peter GV II*

Parish Church. C12 core with C13 and C18 additions, restored and enlarged 1831 and extended 1884-5 by J.R. Naylor. Mainly C19 ashlar with edged herringbone tooling and C13 coursed and squared sandstone blocks; slate and plain tile roofs with coped verges. West tower, with angle buttresses, 5-bay nave and aisles, single-bay chancel, south vestry. West tower: C13 with later alterations; 3 stages with crenellated parapets; pointed west door of 2 main roll and fillet moulded orders springing from cylindrical shafts with palmette capitals and water holding bases; second stage has a late C14 pointed west window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with hood mould terminating in heads, segmental pointed belfry openings of 3 trefoil-headed lights with Perpendicular tracery over; gargoyles to north and south. North aisle: pointed windows. South aisle: 1830. Pointed windows with Y-tracery and returned hood moulds, blind lancet with returned hood mould over a Tudor arch doorway with roll and hollow mouldings and hood mould terminating in square blocks; coved eaves and crenellated parapet. Chancel: 1884-5; north window of 3 lights with cinquefoiled heads under a segmental arch, pointed east window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with Perpendicular tracery and a returned hood mould. Vestry: south window of 3 lights with cinquefoiled heads under a segmental arch. Interior: C12 north arcade, restored, cylindrical columns, square abaci and double chamfered semi-circular arches; south arcade c. 1830, stilted round arches springing from tall cyldrical columns with octagonal abaci to the capitals. C19 wide 4-centred chancel arch springing from engaged cylindrical columns with moulded capitals and bases, outer roll and fillet moulding; tall pointed tower arch with 2 massive wave-moulded orders; nave has a plaster ceiling, north aisle has a plaster ceiling with beams, one dated "G. W. 1743". Fittings: font probably C15 but recut. octagonal with panelled and traceried sides; late C19 wooden pulpit, semi-octagonal, heavily carved; painting of the interior of the church of c. 1830 before the restoration and enlargement; plaque commemorating restoration and enlargement of church in 1831. Monuments: Bill family memorial of 1782, marble wall plaque. Wall painting: above the north arcade remnants of a late C14 painting depicting the story of the Three Quick and the Three Dead. B.O.E. p. 55.

Listing NGR: SK0736142342


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 55


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07726/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stanley Strudwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].