CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1191073
Date first listed:
17-Jun-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191073.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 04:27:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Potterspury
National Grid Reference:
SP 77343 43088

Details

POTTERSPURY FURTHO SP74SE 7/103 Church of St. Bartholomew 17/06/60

GV II*

Church. C12 and C14 substantially rebuilt c.1620 and restored 1870. Coursed squared limestone, slate roof to nave, plain-tile roofs to chancel and tower. Chancel, nave and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with curvilinear tracery, ogee-arched heads to lights and hood mould. Pair of 2-light windows to south with straight heads and Decorated tracery and small blocked rectangular window below south-west window with chamfered stone surround. Round-arched priest's door to south with hood mould and label stops. Diagonal off-set buttresses, 2 offset buttresses to north and chamfered plinth to east end. 3-bay nave has 3-light arched mullion windows with cut spandrels and hood moulds, except for similar 2-light window to west of south door. South doorway with chamfer, Tudor-arched head, cut spandrels, hood mould and plank door. Similar doorway to north. Stone bracket water-spouts to west end either side of tower. Chamfered plinth. Plain parapet with moulded string to base and shield to middle of south side of parapet with initials in rectangular wave-moulded surround. Finial to east gable. 2-stage tower is partly built within west end of nave and has 3-light window to west similar to those of nave and similar bell-chamber openings, wave-moulded plinth, diagonal off-set buttresses, string and moulded string to base of battlemented parapet. Parapet has pair of water-spouts to west resembling urns. Pyramidal roof. Interior; chancel has image brackets either side of east window, pointed trefoil-headed piscina, double sunk quadrant moulded tomb recess to north side and blocked window to north-west with pointed trefoil head. 2-bay roof with cambered tie beam, rest concealed by plaster ceiling. Double-chamfered chancel and tower arches with continuous chamfer outermost and polygonal responds innermost with chamfered bases and moulded capitals. Nave has 3-bay roof with many-moulded wall plate, moulded tie beams to principal rafters, moulded purlins and ridge piece, king posts and ogee-stop-chamfered rafters. Small C17 octagonal stone font. The church was rebuilt at the expense of Sir Robert Banastre of Passenham who purchased the Manor of Furtho in 1625. (Buildings of England; Northamptonshire: 1973, p221)

Listing NGR: SP7734343088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235340
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 221

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01484/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Robert Skears. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].