CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1191364
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Nov-2011
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191364.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 19:18:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Thormanby
National Grid Reference:
SE4959274968

Summary

Church of St Mary Magdalene. C12, c.1200, C13, C15, C18, 1822 and 1900 with 1955 alteration by Brierley, Syme and Leckenby

Reasons for Designation

The church of St Mary Magdalene, Thormanby, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:

* Date: the church contains a considerable amount of Norman and other early fabric * Architects: the well-known architects Brierley, Syme and Leckenby of York were involved in alterations to the church in 1955 * Fixtures: window glass by Kempe, a tester of the C17 and a font of the C14 are among internal fixtures of special interest * Historic interest: the successive phases of the church through history are clearly readable in the fabric of the church

History

The nave and chancel of the church of St. Mary Magdalene are dated to the C12, and the north aisle was added in c1200 and blocked up at an unknown post-medieval date. The east wall of the chancel is C13 and there is a priest's door of the C15. The south porch was built in the C18 and the tower rebuilt in 1822. The pews are Victorian and the north vestry was added c.1900. Early C20 photographs in the National Monuments Record show the south-east window still blocked up at that point. Repairs (partly paid for by the Incorporated Church Building Society) took place in 1955 under the direction of Brierley, Syme and Leckenby, York-based architects.

Details

Church of St Mary Magdalene. C12, c.1200, C13, C15, C18, 1822 and 1900

MATERIALS: sandstone in deep courses, Welsh slate roofs and brick tower.

PLAN: The church has a C12 three-bay nave and a C12 and C13 two-bay chancel, with a tower of 1822 to the west, a C18 south porch and a c.1900 vestry on the north side.

EXTERIOR: The low tower has segmental-arched louvred belfry openings and a shallow pyramidal cap. There is a ground floor segmental-arched window to the south and a two-light segmental-arched west window at gallery level. The nave porch has a Tudor-arched doorway with slit vents to the sides; inside are stone seats, a brick floor and a straight-headed door. The south side of the nave has, to the right of the porch, a two-light mullioned window and coped gables. The north side of the nave has the remains of a blocked arcade with a circular column with moulded capital and square abacus, a chamfered round western arch and a chamfered pointed eastern arch; the former has a chamfered doorway and the latter has a small lancet window with old lead cames and old glass. The south side of the chancel has a blocked pointed-arched priest's doorway flanked by (renewed) mullioned windows, a round-arched single light to the left and a mullion window of three uneven lights to the right. Both nave and chancel have ashlar coping on their east end. The east window has two cinque-cusped lights with quatrefoil above. The rough-cast lean-to vestry has a three-light mullion window.

INTERIOR: Internally the chancel roof, dating from the C17, has curved ribs to the principal rafters rising from Jacobean inverted finials. The nave has old tie beams. The tower arch is segmental and the c.1900 pointed chancel arch is continuously moulded. The lower parts of the walls are panelled, and the arches of the blocked nave arcade are visible on the north wall. There is a stoup on the inner jamb of the south door.

FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: In the blocked western arch of the former north arcade is a medieval grave cover with a floreated cross on a stepped base and a sword. The C14 font nearby has an octagonal bowl moulded around the top, on a narrower octagonal stem. The east window has glass of 1900 by Kempe and in the south-eastern chancel window is medieval glass given by Francis Plummer in 1952. Above the pulpit is a C17 tester with Gothic cresting. The altar rail has twisted balusters and two spiked finials. In the vestry is an old reading desk made up out of early panelling and more altar rails. A royal coat of arms of James I is on the north wall of the chancel; the name is erased from the inscription below, possibly evidence of C17 anti-monarchist feeling.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332787
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of North Riding of Yorkshire, (1923), 208-209
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 368-69
Other
Lambeth Palace Library, Incorporated Church Building Society Archives,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11073/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].