Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191405.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:57:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Blore with Swinscoe
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SK 13739 49324


SK 14 NW; 5/64


Church of St Bartholomew




Parish Church. Probably a C13 shell remodelled in the early C16. Coursed and squared limestone and sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; lead covered roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch and north aisle, single-bay chancel and north chapel.

West tower: Three stages with belfry band and moulded parapet string and crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles; pointed west window with cusped Y-tracery and hollow chamfered surround, single-light loops to second stage, belfry openings are pointed with cusped Y-tracery; mutilated corner gargoyles at belfry and parapet levels. Nave: square-headed windows of three 3-centred arch lights with hollow chamfered mullions, the westernmost window is pointed with two trefoil arch lights and quatrefoil over, hollowed surround and hollow-chamfered mullion; blocked door below central window, porch with pointed opening and pine gate. North aisle: square-headed windows of three 4-centred lights, the easternmost window has three cinquefoil-headed lights beneath a 3-centred head, and a hollow-chamfered surround. Chancel: the south window has two lights with 4-centred heads and a hollow-chamfered mullion, the east window has an almost semicircular head with four cinquefoil-headed lights and cusped intersecting tracery incorporating quatrefoils. North chapel: the north side has a square-headed window to the west with two 4-centred lights and a hollow-chamfered surround, a pointed window to the east with a hollow chamfered surround and cusped Y-tracery incorporating a quatrefoil and a blocked pointed doorway to the centre; the east window has a roughly 4-centred head with three cinquefoil arch lights.

INTERIOR: the north arcade has two double-chamfered pointed arches and central octagonal pier with moulded capital; pointed and double-chamfered chancel arch springing from engaged semi-octagonal columns; pointed and double-chamfered tower arch; the roofs of the nave, aisle and chancel are of low pitch with cambered tie beams, ridge piece and one pair of purlins, all members are moulded. FITTINGS: C16 octagonal stone font with moulded base, trefoil-headed panels to the pedestal and quatrefoil panels containing shields to the basin; C17 oak pulpit, semi-octagonal with panelled sides; C17 oak benches and stalls, some with poppyheads; C17 oak screens to chancel and north chapel, with curved foliage decoration and open panels containing Perpendicular tracery, the chancel screen has late C19 decorative wrought iron gates; C17 oak panelling in chancel; C17 oak alter rail and gate with bobbin turned balusters. MONUMENTS: The Basset tomb:- William Basset died 1601, wife Judith Corbet died 1640 and son-in-law Henry Howard died 1616; alabaster, rectangular plan, Corinthian arcade at each end supporting shields, 3 recumbent figures, William Basset in the centre raised above the other two, 2 kneeling daughters at their heads; marble wall plaque to Thomas Thompkins died 1640; wall plaques to Richard Taylor died 1737 and to Sarah Challinor died 1745/6. Stained glass: good east window of 1865. Graded I for the generally unaltered medieval and C16 fabric and interior features.

Listing NGR: SK1374049325


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 74


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10086/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Donald Pittman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].