This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1192160



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rushton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 231129

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


RUSHTON SP88SW Rushton Hall School 1337-0/4/230 25/10/51 (Formerly Listed as: RUSHTON Rushton Hall) GV I Great house, now school. Perhaps early C16 origin, altered and enlarged late C16 and early C17 (gables dated 1595, 1626, 1627 and 1630), altered and partly reconstructed in C19. Much of the elaborate interior detail is also C19 or early C20. Limestone ashlar with Collyweston stone slate roofs, coped gables and numerous stone ridge and lateral stacks. 2 storeys and attic. Courtyard plan of 3 ranges with linking screen to east. East front: screen has broad central entrance, a round-headed doorway with double studded doors, and niches containing statues of warriors to either side, divided by fluted tapering pilasters carrying classical entablature and Gothic style balustrade of quatrefoils alternating with tiny trefoil-headed lights (in existence by 1741), carrying reclining figure with cornucopia and dolphin. 4 bays to either side, divided by pilasters, each bay with a 3-light stone mullioned window. Parapet and balustrade with urns. Gable ends of wings to left and right have 2-storey canted bay windows with parapet and strap-work cresting, and 6-light double-stepped (6-lights then 4, then 2) attic windows in shaped gables with finials. Balustrades and corner finials. 2-storey, one-bay additions to outside of each gable have a 4-light mullion-and- transom window to ground floor and a window of 2 round-headed larger-than- usual lights to first floor, and parapet with blind Gothic tracery (pattern as to central screen balustrade) Interior of courtyard: south range, divided by buttress, has great hall to right lit by 2 4-light mullion-and- transom windows with hood-moulds and a tall bow window with castellated parapet. Left of buttress, is a similar bow window (with some blind lights) added in C19 (or 1905 - date on rainwater head), and C19 mullion and transom windows. West range much restored in C19, has canted bay window to right of centre and mullion and transom windows with hoodmoulds. Buttressed north range, apparently, rebuilt after fire of 1835, has similar windows and 2 canted bays. String course below attic storey which has parapet, divided by pilasters decorated with strapwork, balustrade and 3 gables to each range. Central west gable is shaped and has a double-stepped mullion and transom, window (reflecting gable-ends at north and south ranges) dated 1627. Other gables are straight-sided some with dates or carved motifs, and all have finials. Casement windows with decorative leaded glazing, incorporating some stained glass. South range, extended to south 1848-52 with bow and canted bay windowws, gabled wing projecting from south end of west front of patchy ironstone rubble with pale stone quoins and plinth, keyed for render, has coped gables, finial and kneelers ornamented with tiny trefoils, emblem of the Tresham family. Interior: great hall has restored hammerbeam roof. Early C17-style staircase has plaster ceiling with strapwork and a central pendant with mermaids. Oratory in south-west wing has painted plaster relief panel of the Crucification, dated 1577. Much elaborate C17-style, interior detail. Home of the Tresham family from 1438, sold in 1619 to Sir William Cockayne, in whose family it remained until 1828, when it was sold to W.W.Hope. At his death in 1854 the estate was sold to Clara Thornhill (later Clarke-Thornhill), after whose death in 1865 it was leased to various tenants. It is now a school for blind children. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: pp397-400).

Listing NGR: SP8364682758

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 397-400

National Grid Reference: SP 83646 82758


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 03:14:02.

End of official listing