This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1192232



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232411

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/05/2014

SP97SE 5/109 26/04/50

RAUNDS, CHURCH STREET (North side), Church of St. Laurence

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Lawrence)

(Previously listed as Parish Church of St. Lawrence)


Church. C13 and C14, restored 1858. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with ashlar spire. Lead, Collyweston slate and plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel south aisle, organ chamber and vestry, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 2 bays, one-window range with 3-light windows under 4-centred arch heads. 6-panel C18 arch-head south door to centre. Ashlar buttresses between bays. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet and finial. 4-light Perpendicular east window with 4-centred head and curved label stops. North elevation of chancel has C19 lean-to vestry and gabled organ chamber attached. 3-light north window and 2-light east window. Plain tile roof. South aisle of 4 bays; 2-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows to right, with 4-centred arch heads. Small blocked doorway in left bay. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet. 2-light square-head east and west windows. 2-storey gabled porch in bay to left of centre, has double chamfered outer arch with 2-light square-head window above. Chamfered and stepped inner doorway has one order of shafts. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet and finial. Stair turret with lean-to stone roof to left of porch. North elevation of nave of 3-window range of tall 3-light windows with 4-centred arch heads. Blocked north door to right of centre has carved tablet above. 3-stage buttresses between bays. Steep gabled roof with Collyweston slates, castellated ashlar parapet and gable finial. Octagonal west tower of 2 stages with shallow buttresses to lower part of first stage. West lancet window with octofoil window above. Upper stage is set back with 2-light bell-chamber openings in the cardinal directions and similar blind arcading, each with central corbel, to the diagonal faces of the octagon. Octagonal ashlar spire has corbel table and castellated frieze at base. 3 tiers of lucarnes. Polygonal stair turret is attached to north face of tower. Interior: 3-bay south arcade, to nave, of double chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers. Double-chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds and nail head decoration. Triple chamfered tower arch. C19 roof structures. Double piscina in south aisle has central column. Trefoil-head arched seat to right of chancel arch facing into chancel. C19 chamfered arch to organ chamber. Perpendicular octagonal font, with the stem missing. Monuments: Thomas de Wynchy, C14, inscribed brass strip in chancel floor. John Atkins died 1669 wife and family, inscribed tablet, to left of altar, with arms over. C18 oval tablet to left and various C19 tablets to right. Communion rail has 4 turned balusters. Stained glass: C19 east window, 2 west windows and south aisle east window, the latter is by Kempe. Original scaffold holes are visible in the tower. Pitch hooks for removing burning thatch attached to belfry wall. Room over porch has C20 roof and partially legible inscribed memorial tablet fixed to the wall. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.412).

Listing NGR: SP9801771457

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 412

National Grid Reference: SP 98017 71457


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 10:34:57.

End of official listing