CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1192374
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192374.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:45:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Kettering (District Authority)
Parish:
Warkton
National Grid Reference:
SP 89307 79835

Details

WARKTON SP8879 Church of St.Edmund 1337-0/17/234 25/02/57 I Parish church. C12 origin, tower and alterations of C15, chancel mid C18, restoration of 1868. Ashlar and coursed limestone rubble with a scattering of ironstone. Low-pitched roofs (probably of lead). Nave and aisles, south porch, west tower, chancel and north tomb-house. 4-stage, west tower has plinth clasping buttresses, quatrefoil fireze with gargoyles and castellated parapet with corner pinnacles. West side has C19 double doors in roll- moulded arched entrance in square label. Quatrefoil frieze over and 3-light Perpendicular window with transom above. Tiny stair lights. Bell-stage has 2-light, Perpendicular windows with transom. Nave, aisles and chancel have plain parapets. 2 C19 3-light Perpendicular style square headed aisle windows. 2 similar 2-light clerestory windows. Gabled south porch enclosing arched entrance with C19 door. Little C19 arched priests doorway to south aisle. Chancel has plinth, 2 plain raised bands, cornice and tall plain- parapet. East end has one huge round-headed leaded window, with plain impost blocks and keystone, pediment over. Railings in front. Interior: 2-bay nave arcade of plain semi-circular arches on cylindrical columns with plain capitals and square abaci. Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders, partly concealed by organ gallery. Perpendicular style roofs, that to south aisle. Locks later. Chancel arch C19. East end of south aisle has 3-light C15 window (rediscovered in C19 and serving as pattern for restoration of aisle windows) with traces of painting on left-hand jamb. South aisle west window has C19 stained glass. East end of north aisle has panelled door leading to tomb-house. Font, probably medieval, on C19 base. Chancel has cornice, cove and moulded rectangular ceiling panel. Each side has 2 large niches with scrolly keystones and impost blocks linked by frieze with wave moulding. The niches contain 4 colossal monuments, to John, Duke of Montagu, d.1752, by L.F. Reubiliac, and to Mary, Duchess of Montagu, d.1775, by Robert Adam and P.M. van Gelder (on north side), to Mary, Duichess of Montagu, d.1753, by L.F. Reubiliac and to Elizabeth, Duchess of Buccleuch, d.1827, by Thomas Campbell (on south side). Paved stone and marble floor, curved altar dais of black marble and mid-C18 communion rail with 4 scrolly iron supports. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: pp442-4).

Listing NGR: SP8930779835

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
231157
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 442-4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08507/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].