CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1192380
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND ST BARTHOLOMEW, BROADWAY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192380.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:16:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND ST BARTHOLOMEW, BROADWAY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Waterhouses
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 08192 51649

Details

SK 05 SE WATERHOUSES C.P. BROADWAY LANE (West side) WATERFALL 1/158 3/1/67 Church of St. James and St. Bartholomew GV II*

Parish Church. 1792 with core of c. 1200, chancel rebuilt 1890 using medieval masonry. Ashlar and coursed limestone rubble; plain tile roof to chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with diagonal buttresses, north vestry. West tower: 2 stages with second-stage band, chamfered quoins and crenellated parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles; first stage has a circular west window with raised surround, and blocked south window with semi-circular head and Gibbs surround, paired belfry openings with semi-circular heads. Nave: windows have semi-circular heads, raised surrounds and keystones; upper window to west probably indicates a former gallery; eaves cornice and plain parapet; gabled porch dated 1894 with shouldered Tudor arch, south door has a moulded surround and square head and replaces a Romanesque doorway, the semi-circular arch of which remains, it has roll moulding and chevron ornament, and springs from imposts. Chancel: pointed south window and south doorway, north window of 2 lights with Y-tracery and a segmental pointed head, east window of 3 trefoil-headed lights under a segmental pointed head; vestry has a pointed window. Interior: wide chancel arch of c. 1200, semi- elliptical, springing from restored colonettes with scalloped capitals, 2 principal orders, the inner has chevron ornament, the outer is roll moulded with dog tooth above; double chamfered west door with segmental pointed head; low pitch nave roof with short stubby king-post, one pair of purlins and ridge piece; chancel roof dated 1890 with tie beam, shaped collar and raking struts between them, one pair of purlins, curved wind braces and ridge piece. Fittings: small C17 font with square moulded base and cylindrical pedestal tapering towards the top, rounded basin with moulded rim; late C19 font, octagonal base and basin with a cluster of 5 marble pedestal columns with stiff leaf capitals; pulpit late C19, wooden, semi-octagonal. B.O.E. p. 298.

Listing NGR: SK0819251649

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275156
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/09271/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Aynsley Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].