CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192663.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:46:11.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
- Sprotbrough and Cusworth
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 53958 02034
7/136 Church of St. Mary (Formerly listed as Church 5.6.68 of St Mary the Virgin).
Church. C13 and C14 with C15 and C16 alterations and additions. Rubble and ashlar limestone, ashphalt roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with north and south porches, 2-bay chancel, north vestry. Tower: C14 lower part has chamfered plinth and diagonal, offset buttresses flanking ogee-headed west door with hoodmould; quadrant-moulded 2-light window above with trefoil-headed loop over. Offsets below and above lozenge- shaped clock. Perpendicular upper stage has paired, 2-light belfry openings with cusped, blind panels beneath louvred upper lights, shared hoodmoulds. Blind tracery to parapet with gargoyles and pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth; buttresses, diagonal to west. South porch has timbered gable and stone roof; quadrant-moulded doorway within has hoodmould. Aisle has square-headed, double-chamfered 3-light windows, 4-light window on right; string course beneath embattled parapet. 4 clerestorey windows of 3 Tudor-arched lights in square-headed recesses; parapet, as aisle, has pinnacle bases. North side similar: ashlar porch with gable plaque dated 1630, quadrant-moulded, pointed arch to door within. Chancel: south priest's door flanked by buttresses and by Y-tracery, double-cavetto-moulded windows with hoodmoulds. West buttresses now built onto by aisle end walls. 2-storey north vestry with 2-light mullioned window beneath pointed single light, shallow-pitched north gable. Flanking 2-light windows to chancel, renewed. Angle buttresses flank early C20, 4-light east window within jambs of C13 opening. Plain parapet with copings, truncated east gable.
Interior: 3-bay north and south arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered, pointed arches; ½-round, north-east respond with early capital, probably reused. Double-chamfered tower arch, similar chancel arch with ½-octagonal responds to inner order, hoodmould. Cl3 sedilia, 3 seats divided by paired shafts and with hoodmould, piscina to its east has hoodmould with head-carved stops; straight-headed image niche in chancel north wall. C16 nave roof with moulded, cambered tie beams and carved bosses, matching aisle roofs. Monuments: south aisle chapel has late C13 effigy of knight in C14 cusped, ogee recess. Later female effigy now with C20 canopy. Wall monument in north aisle to William Wrightson of Cusworth jd1760). Chancel floor: fine brasses to William Fitzwilliam (1474) and wife, also C18 and C19 slabs to Copley family. Incised alabaster table-tomb to Philip Copley (d1577) and wife; wall monument to Leonellfis copley (d1776). Furnishings: C20 octagonal pulpit reuses old panels and has C18 tester. C16 bench ends. Unusual rood screen with medieval shafts and later Decorated-style tracery; 2 misericords in adjoining stalls. Jacobean communion rail with obelisks. C14 stone seat in chancel has traceried end panel and bearded caryatid beneath seat. Some of the early C20 furnishings by Comper.
N. Pevsner, B.O.E., 1967 ed, pp496-497 and p648.
Listing NGR: SE5395802033
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 496-497
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 648
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing