CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1192788
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192788 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 05:19:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Wentworth
National Grid Reference:
SK 38387 98141

Details

SK39NE WENTWORTH CHURCH DRIVE (south side)

4/64 Church of the Holy Trinity 29.3.68 GV II*

Church. Built 1872-76, consecrated 1877. By J. L. Pearson for the children of Charles William, 5th Earl Fitzwilliam and his wife Mary in memory of their parents. Thinly-coursed and snecked sandstone, ashlar dressings, tile roof. Cruciform plan orientated north-west/ south-east (ritual orientation used here). 4½-bay aisled nave with north porch; crossing tower with spire; 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Gothic revival: late C13 style, geometrical tracery. Plinth, moulded band and string course run round building rising with ground to south. Offset buttresses between bays and at angles. Hoodmoulds with delicate stops. Gable copings with crosses. Nave: north porch approached by steps within ashlar wing walls; iron gate; tripartite responds to moulded arches with dog-tooth ornament; foiled side-wall openings; rib-vaulted roof. Aisle bays to left each have two 2-light windows. Small turret to right in angle with porch. Clerestorey: pilaster buttresses, 3-light windows, carved eaves band. Transepts: lower, each with 6-light window and small rose window to gable. Tower: two 2-light gallery windows flank abutting transept roofs. Clock and offset band beneath coupled, 2-light, louvred belfry openings. String course with corner gargoyles beneath embattled parapet. Recessed broach spire with lucarnes and weathervane. Cylindrical stair-turret to south-east corner with arcaded panel beneath conical cap. Chancel: single-storey north vestry with 2, square-headed, 3-light windows; priest's door to right. 3-light windows to chancel; east window of 5 lights beneath rose window.

Interior: Nave:4-bay arcades with compound piers and moulded arches. Attached columns rise from arcade capitals to springing of vault ribs. Clerestorey windows flanked by blind windows all within arched recess. Crossing: arches with dog-tooth ornament; gallery with 2 twin arches to each side; octopartite vault. Exposed stone rib-vaulting throughout. Dedication of church carved in bold letters at west end beneath stained- glass window by C. E. Kempe. Decorative frieze beneath clerestorey. Chancel has marble steps and paving. East window, 1888, by Clayton and Bell. Fitzwilliam brasses beneath south transept window.

A. P. Quiney, 'Wentworth Churches', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980, p396.

Listing NGR: SK3838798141

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335572
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 137, (1980), 396

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00993/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Marilyn Shenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].