Church of St Andrew and St Patrick

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1192876
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew and St Patrick, London Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Andrew and St Patrick
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192876.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:04:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew and St Patrick, London Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Elveden
National Grid Reference:
TL 82283 79942

Details

TL 87 NW 2/21

ELVEDEN LONDON ROAD Church of St Andrew and St Patrick

7/5/54

II* Church, medieval, restored 1869; major alterations 1904-06 and again 1922 by W.D. Caröe for Edward Guiness, first Viscount Iveagh. The medieval church consists of chancel (now chapel of St. Andrew), nave (now south aisle), west tower and south porch. In 1904 nave, chancel, organ chamber, vestry and west porch were added. In 1922 a free-standing bell-tower was built, linked to the south chapel by a cloister. Flint rubble walling with limestone dressings. Cotswold slated roofs with parapet gables.

The medieval nave has a C12 core; a blocked lancet in the north wall; another reset from south wall. Two north windows and east window inserted mid C14; two hood-moulded square-headed windows and south porch added C15, heavily restored 1869. West tower of c.1421 in three stages on blank-traceried flushwork base, crenellated parapets with pinnacles, mask gargoyles and two-light west window. A simple C14 angle piscina and dropped-cill sedilia. Medieval roofs renewed 1904; nave has a richly-carved tie-beam roof with king-and queen-posts. Caröe's work is a development of the Perpendicular style, but many features are entirely original. Much heavily-carved and embellished ashlar-work, with distinctive elements such as buttresses, gargoyles and elliptical arch-forms.

Figures of Saints Andrew, Patrick and others stand upon the porch and parapets at south and west sides. Richly carved Perpendicular nave roof of double-hammer beam type, crowded with tiers of angels; the organ, pulpit and choir-stalls also heavily carved. Altar reredos of alabaster is based on that of St. Alban's Abbey; it depicts the Supper at Emmaus, surrounded by niches with the twelve apostles and figures of saints. Also of carved alabaster is the octagonal font.

Much good C19 and C20 stained glass; the east chapel window by Kempe, to Prince Frederick Duleep Singh of Elveden Hall; a south window by Clayton and Bell. The south tower and cloister of 1922 are of ashlar in the Perpendicular style, with vaulted stone ceilings; the tower has much good flushwork and crenellated parapets.

Listing NGR: TL8228379942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275762
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06927/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].