CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1193041
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST SEPULCHRE GATE (WEST)

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193041.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:35:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST SEPULCHRE GATE (WEST)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 57207 02811

Details

TOWN OF DONCASTER ST SEPULCHRE GATE (WEST) SE 50 SE (west side)

3/101 Church of St James 12.6.50

GV II

Church. 1858 designed by G G Scott in conjunction with Lord Grimthorpe, (then Sir Edmund Beckett Denison, whose father was chairman of shareholders of Great Northern Railway for whom it was built). Bellcote raised in 1860. Geometric style. Ancaster stone and plain tile roofs with crested ridge tiles. Two parallel ranges running north-south of nave and chancel with eastern porch and central tower to south. Deep moulded plinth throughout, offset buttresses between all bays, those to north end gableted, and continuous sill band. East elevation has steeply pitched gabled porch to south with moulded pointed arch, roll moulded soffit on attached shafts with moulded capitals, all below hoodmould with head stops. Above in gable is a carved trefoil motif in moulded circular surround. Stone coped gable with ridge cross. Twin cusped lancets to sides of porch, Interior of porch has triple chamfered pointed doorcase, outer arch on nookshafts, hood with foliage stops over and Caernarvon arches with central columns in front of side windows. To left of porch is a trefoil headed lancet with foliage stops to hoodmould. To right there are five tall pointed, traceried 3-light windows with chamfered sills and continuous hoodmoulds, broken only by buttresses. Moulded eaves brackets. North end has twin gables, that to east with large 6-light pointed window in deep double chamfered surround with elaborate tracery and hoodmould. Small quatrefoil window in circular surround to top of gable. Western gable has blind arcade of 5 trefoiled arches on attached shafts, below continuous hood. Above, a large rose window and above again a similar quatrefoil window to that in eastern gable. Stone copings on gableted kneelers, with ridge crosses. West elevation similar to eastern one but with 6 windows and with small advanced pointed doorcase into chancel to north. South elevation, twin gabled, as north elevation but with bell turret between the gables and a lean-to vestry against the western gable. Vestry has pointed east door and 4 four-centred arched windows with hoodmoulds to south. Above similar blind arcade as that to north but with taller, wider central arch housing pointed 2-light traceried window. Small quatrefoil window to top of gable and stone copings on gableted kneelers. East gable has large traceried 5-light pointed window with hoodmould and small trefoil window to top of gable, also stone copings with ridge cross. All nave and chancel windows with Geometric tracery. Tower has set back buttresses to square base and trefoil headed lancet in pointed surround with hoodmoulded to south side. Corners taper in above this to octagonal bell stage with louvred trefoil headed openings in elaborate surrounds of four orders, arches sitting on thin colonnettes with foliage capitals. Continuous hoodmould with large carved stops. Ballflower cornice with corner gargoyles above. Spire with bands of blind quatrefoils. Interior has central 6 bay arcade with double chamfered arches on columns with foliage capitals and con- tinuous hoodmould with foliage stops, except for a compound pier between fourth and fifth bays, a compound respond to northern bay and an octagonal respond to southern bay. The compound pier has wall shafts rising to support large arched braced trusses, to both sides which define the chancels. Roofs otherwise have scissor trusses. North windows have inner arches on colonnettes, and hoodmoulds. Eastern nave has double chamfered priests door to bay 5, large organ to north end and tall double chamfered pointed arch on octagonal responds with hoodmould to south end supporting the bell turret. Trefoil headed lancet to side. Chancel has 1875 carved oak reredos with blind arcading. Western nave has octagonal pulpit and circular stone font on granite colonnettes.

Listing NGR: SE5720702811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335099
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11075/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].