CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1193189
Date first listed:
30-Aug-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LEE TERRACE SE3

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193189.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 05:45:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LEE TERRACE SE3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 39092 75658

Details

In the entry for:

LEE TERRACE SE3 1. 4424 (South side) Church of St Margaret

TQ 3975 15/L6 30.8.54

B

the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II*(star).

------------------------------------

LEE TERRACE SE3 1. 4424 (South Side) Church of St Margaret

TQ 3975 15/L6 30.8.54.

B 2. 1839-41 by John Brown of Norwich, replacing a Church on the site by Joseph Gwilt, 1813-14, which collapsed. Only the bottom of the tower of the older structure remains. Church restored and enlarged by James Brooks 1876, who added chancel and aisles, porches, and new roof. Nave, aisles, West tower, North and South porches, chancel and aisles. C13 style. Paired lancet windows with nook shafts and hoodmoulds. Corbelled cornice and parapet with tall octagonal pinnacles. Square tower has tall lower stage, clock faces under gables above, octagonal bell drum with cusped lancets under crocketed hoods; and plain spire above. Roman cement with freestone dressings and spire. Inside 5-bay nave and aisles of almost equal width, tall arcades, wood rib vaults. Wrought iron screens to chancel and chancel aisles. Marble lined sanctuary and Lady Chapel. 2 small Cl6 brasses with female figures.



Listing NGR: TQ3909275658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203329
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/07975/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Davey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].