CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1193803
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, RECTORY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193803.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:55:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, RECTORY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
East Bergholt
National Grid Reference:
TM 07033 34456

Details

TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL (North Side)

6/46 Church of St liary

22.2.55

GV I

Church. Chancel C14 with C15 alterations. North and south chapels mid C15 with later alterations. South aisle later C15, incorporating C14 south door. 1525 date- stone on tower. North aisle, clerestory and nave arcades c1530s - 40s. Restoration 1850s - 60s. Further alterations and additions of early C20 by T G Jackson. Perpendicular style. Tower of brick and flint faced with knapped flint. North aisle mainly brick with some septaria and roughly-dressed stone. South aisle brick and snapped flint. Later stucco to aisles, now removed. Ashlar clerestory. South porch and chancel rendered above plinth. Ashlar dressings throughout. Plain tile roofs. West tower with passage through, 5-bay aisled nave, south porch with parvise, 2-bay chancel with single-bay chapels to north and south. Tower: incomplete, raised only to single stage. 5-sided angle turrets, ashlar plinth with encircled quatrefoils containing shields. Much weathered flushwork above. Wide north and south arches to passage. 2-centred moulded arches on inner responds with continuously moulded jambs under square label containing encircled quatrefoil with shields and mouchettes to spandrels. Date plaque above south arch now illegible. Passageway retains vault shafts. West doors have linenfold panelling and enriched central baluster. West front has C20 paired traceried windows and is surmounted by C18 octagonal bellcote. South aisle: plinth, flush- work band, flushwork buttresses with niches and truncated pinnacles. Tudor-arched 3-light Perpendicular windows. Battlements throughout enriched with carved shields. South porch of 2 storeys with domed stair turret to west. Flushwork plinth and diagonal buttresses with niches. Pointed arch, the inner order on responds, with continuously moulded jambs enriched with shields. Hoodmould surmounted by square label with encircled quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels. Single-light window to parvise under square label. Parapet. North aisle: plinth, flushwork offset buttresses with brattishing. Large 4-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Polygonal 3-stage stair turret to east surmounted by finial, with the mullet device of the De Veres, Lords of the village manor of Old Hall from 1425. North door: linenfold panelling with central baluster in continuously moulded surround enriched with niches and shields. Square moulded surround with outer colonettes and decorated spandrels. Clerestory his 3-light segmental-pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. Chancel and Chapels have 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Diagonal buttresses to chancel and 5-light east window. Embattled parapets. Interior: nave arcade of 2-centred arches on piers of section four shafts and four hollows with moulded capitals to shafts. Pointed chancel arch on triple responds. Original roofs to south aisle and chancel. Nave roof of 1854. Angle corbels to south chapel, reroofed 1866. Easter Sepulchre with C15 wall painting. Wall monuments to William Jonar 1636,and to Edward Lambe d.1617 with niche containing kneeling figure flanked by angels and surmounted by entablature with hatchment and obelisks. Early C18 marble chest tombs to Chaplin and Parker families in south chapel. Memorials to Maria Constable, Wife of John Constable, and her grandfather Dr Rhudde. Pevsner N, Suffolk 2nd Ed 1974 pp 195-196 Paterson T F, East Bergholt in Suffolk, 1923 pp 52-90 Riches A, Victorian Church Building and Restoration in Suffolk 1982 p 366 Elam J F, St Mary's Church East Bergholt 1986

Listing NGR: TM0703334456

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
278754
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Elam, J F , St Mary's Church East Bergholt, (1986)
Patterson, T F , East Bergholt in Suffolk, (1923), 52-90
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1961), 195-6
Riches, A, Victorian Church Building and Restoration in Suffolk, (1982), 366

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07537/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Simon Peachey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].